Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

New gaskets, high RPM, smoke, ticking and loud sucking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Beginning Member
latinoNJ is on a distinguished road

Well, I've put new head gaskets, new intake manifold gaskets, new spark plugs, new distributor cap, new plug wires. I finally got the timing down and it started, but I can hear a ticking sound, some smoke coming from the back of the engine and a fairly loud sucking sound.

The ticking seems to come from the passenger side and the sucking is definitely coming from the intake but it didn't sound like that before. The RPM is also high, I've waited a few minutes but it won't idle below 1000ish RPM.

Any ideas?

Here's a clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLpHeJCBmDs

thanks

Alright, so the sucking sound is a vacuum leak but still don't know where.

Do you guys think that over torquing the plenum might produce this?

Last edited by rriddle3; 06-20-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE THREADS
Old 06-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Beginning Member
latinoNJ is on a distinguished road

Now the truck won't start. It was miss fireing so this morning I decided to get the timing right. Pulled out spark plug one, put it on TDC, put in the distributor and vrooomm it started right away. I found the vacuum leak, and it was a bad o ring. Then I tried starting it again and it wouldn't start, so I checked the distributor cap and I noticed I forgot to plug in the spark plug wires. So I plugged them and tried to start the car and now the battery is dead and wont even turn the dash lights on.

It seems that when I started the car, right after timing it correctly. it started even though I forgot to plug in the wires. I dunno how it turned on but after I turned it off, put the fan and shroud, then tried to turn it on again the battery was dead.

Did I break something?

Oh and now the ticking can be heard even louder, I'm almost sure the ticking is on the passenger side of the engine.

Alright, so everything is back to normal except the ticking/clicking on the passenger side. Another guy (who said he was a mechanic) walked by and told me that maybe the exhaust manifold is a little loose.

Do you guys think the ticking/clicking sound can be a rocker arm or something under the valve covers?

Thanks

Last edited by rriddle3; 06-20-2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE THREADS
Old 06-20-2010, 03:59 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard exhaust manifold leaks sound like that. If you can get your hand down by the manifold bolts without burning yourself you might be able to feel the exhaust gas as it escapes.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:36 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure to recheck all of your electrical connectors. When I changed my intake gaskets the TPS wire popped out and caused it to idle at 2k, tons of water vapor out the exhaust, and sound like a shop vac