Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4l60e trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Beginning Member
erobe387 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4l60e trans

I am new here and would like to find out from anyone if their is a automatic trans that I could swap for the 4l60e that is in my 1997 s10 four door blazer so that if one goes out the other can be put in while the other gets rebuild.forgot to say that it is electric shift 4x4 and it has the 4.3 vortec v6 with about 149,000 on it and still strong but the trans seems to hesitate when down shifting to a lower gear.I plan on trying to change filter and fluid to see if this will help,dont know when it was done last being I purchased it used about four months ago other than that the blazer runs and drives great,would like to keep it a long time so I will have to get this taken care of asap.any help or ideas would be helpfull.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 4l60e trans

You first have to determine if you have the 2 piece main case (separate full round bell housing) or 1 piece main case (3/4 bell housing with a removable dust sheild to cover the underside of the torque converter). Once you know that, any corresponding 4l60E out of any 4wd equiped vehicle (s-series, small vans, or 1/2 ton full size GM vehicles).

In terms of your slow downshift, it is possible that your fluid has degraded. What does the fluid look/smell like?

Old 04-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Beginning Member
erobe387 is an unknown quantity at this point

the fluid looks brownish orange and smells burnt I figured when I pulled the stick that who ever had it did not change the fluid and filter like they should have so Iam going to do this and hope this will help with the problem.As far as the trans bell housing it is full round case that bolts to the block and the oil pan which is cast aluminum

Old 04-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So you will need to find a transmission from a '97+ 4x4 vehicle equiped with a 4L60E to use for the replacement.

If you thought that the transmission was going to go out, you could rebuild the donor trans and only do the swap once. Complete rebuild kits are available at a number of sources. Just remember to purchase the upgraded reaction sun shell and replace it while you have everything apart. The reason I recommend rebuilding the donor prior to replacing the one in the truck is just to save time.

If you had the money, I would recommend purchasing a trans from MonsterTrans.com. These transmissions are phenomenal and handle abuse very well!