Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

4l60e week of hell

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013 | 06:06 PM
|
Beginning Member
dehackin is on a distinguished road
Default 4l60e week of hell

well after spending a week in the back yard im just about done overhauling my tranny the first one i have ever done im hoping i can get it installed this weekend it turned out the fwd clutch plates were burnt slap up i hope i dont have to go thru this again

Old 03-15-2013 | 08:59 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Replacing the internals is only half the fun.Do you through the valve body,how about replacing the orings on the front pump?Did you replace the booste valve,how about the atuator piston on the side?Flush your torque converter other wise your going to have shavings go back in through the fluid.Then you have hell week 2 coming up replace.

Old 03-15-2013 | 09:41 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

As much as I hate to admit it, mine is in the shop being rebuilt as I type. I currently have no place to do any work, let alone a tranny rebuild. At least I'm getting it built a bit more sturdier than stock and I'm not busting my knuckles plus I get a warranty.

My wallet is quite a bit lighter, though.

Old 03-16-2013 | 11:02 AM
|
Beginning Member

Tore down front pump completly replaced orings screen &seal still have valve body left I had to take a break today another buddy had door issues on his ford so I go thru vb later on today and yes drained tc as best as poss got close to a gal of fluid out of tc looked like red met paint in the can I set up for it to drain into I download the atsg guide as my bible to follow

Old 03-17-2013 | 09:32 AM
|
Beginning Member

If anyone one is planning on doing what I did I will be more than happy to send you my copy of the atsg to hwlp you out it took me threw days of searching to find mt I was to cheap to go pay the $40 for it

Old 03-17-2013 | 10:36 AM

You`ll never be able to flush that TC out completely while its out of the trans.I personaly would just go get a new one.This way your not wasting all the effort in rebuilding your trans.The only way to completely flush them is while they are in the vehicle..You might be able to drill a hole on the side and drain it all the way but becarefull you dont go any deeper than the wall or your going to hit fins.Then have the hole welded and regrind flat.

Old 03-18-2013 | 07:18 PM
|
Beginning Member

well in finally done with the rebuild part of my tranny when i was pulling the tranny the bolt that hold the y pipe to the cat and manifold all broke off i believe they are press on but i try to beat one out with no luck so i go on the phone and talk to three buds who are all good rep mechs i got three diff ans one told me to beat them out one told me that they are screwed in one told me to grind and drill i have been ou of work for the last month and funds are getting low and my old boss is ready for me to come back to work my ? is what will be the quickest way to get this prob handle

Old 03-18-2013 | 08:07 PM

They are pressed in and the only way to get them out without wearing yourself out is the heat them up cherry red then smack the crap out of them.I was facing the same delema on my Jimmy got tired of beating myself to death.Fired up the torch with map gas and that was that broken studs were out.

Old 03-18-2013 | 10:59 PM
|
Beginning Member

Thanks for the tip ill try 2 get a hold of some map gas if not I I do have a small buckeye and a good drill & drill bits

Old 03-19-2013 | 09:36 AM

Trying to drill them out is almost impossible,I tryed every kind of hardend drill bit I could get my hands.After sitting there drilling in one spot and not making any progress with depth I gave up the drill.Those bolts are made out of super hardened steel.

Quick Reply: 4l60e week of hell