Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

92 S10- Bogging Down on Road

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 02:01 PM
cubcadet is on a distinguished road
Default 92 S10- Bogging Down on Road

Hey all, I wonder if anyone knows what`s wrong here: when my blazer S10 is going down the road after warming up, it suddenly feels like the engine is missing and there`s a loss of power. At that time the yellow Service Engine Soon light comes on. After a period of bout 15 to 30 seconds, the light goes out, and everything is fine. After a short run, and if I let it idle a bit, the opposite thing happens- the engine`s idle increases slightly and the same light comes on. After 5 seconds or so, it goes out and the idle comes down. The engine is a big V6, the largest that was available at that time, according to my brother. It`s a 4x4, auto trans. It otherwise runs strong. Any advise would be great. Thanks

cub

Old 12-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check the code... It'll give you a direction.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:02 AM

Hi swartlkk, scuse my ignorance, what is `code`, and where is it?

Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cubcadet
Hi swartlkk, scuse my ignorance, what is `code`, and where is it?
You have to scan your truck with an ODBII scanner (or something of the like). It will give you these "codes" that your truck is throwing. There is an entire board on the forum dealing with DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes). Each code is explained and there are troubleshooting steps in each to fix it.

For more info, see here: https://blazerforum.com/forum/diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs-49/odbii-trouble-codes-7189/

Old 12-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Logan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sisk
You have to scan your truck with an ODBII scanner (or something of the like). It will give you these "codes" that your truck is throwing. There is an entire board on the forum dealing with DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes). Each code is explained and there are troubleshooting steps in each to fix it.

For more info, see here: https://blazerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7189
*cough* 92 S-10 *cough* ODB1 scanner needed. Unless its ODB0. Is there not a way to retrieve codes with out a scanner on pre ODBII vehicles? I know with Honda's there is.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Starting Member
Nvidia78 is on a distinguished road

Yeah if it is OBD I he will be able to jump pins A and B with a paper clip and turn the key on and engine off it will start flashing codes, first code you usually get is 12 system is normal, then it will start flashing other codes, example if you get 5 flashes and a short pause then 3 flashes it will be code 53 etc, it will do it 3 times then go on to the next code, when done with the codes it will do code 12 again.... pins A and B are on the top row on the connector to the far right, don't jump right to this tho, and do some research and make sure it is OBD I

Last edited by Nvidia78; 12-06-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:12 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Logan
*cough* 92 S-10 *cough* ODB1 scanner needed. Unless its ODB0. Is there not a way to retrieve codes with out a scanner on pre ODBII vehicles? I know with Honda's there is.
Whoops...my bad. Didn't pay attention to the year! lol

Old 12-06-2009, 01:49 PM

Hey all, thanks for all the postings. I will do my best to absorb this. Thanks

Old 12-06-2009, 05:03 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nvidia78
Yeah if it is OBD I he will be able to jump pins A and B with a paper clip and turn the key on and engine off it will start flashing codes, first code you usually get is 12 system is normal, then it will start flashing other codes, example if you get 5 flashes and a short pause then 3 flashes it will be code 53 etc, it will do it 3 times then go on to the next code, when done with the codes it will do code 12 again.... pins A and B are on the top row on the connector to the far right, don't jump right to this tho, and do some research and make sure it is OBD I
sure it is. ODBII didn't start 'til the '96 model year.

sorry these are only thumbnails, didn't have them on my PB account.

first pic is what the terminals are, second one is what it looks like.

just remember not to start the truck when you stick in the paper clip.

Attached Thumbnails 92 S10- Bogging Down on Road-gm-aldl-connector-diagram.gif   92 S10- Bogging Down on Road-gm-aldl-picture-obd-.jpg  
Old 12-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Starting Member
Nvidia78 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
sure it is. ODBII didn't start 'til the '96 model year.

sorry these are only thumbnails, didn't have them on my PB account.

first pic is what the terminals are, second one is what it looks like.

just remember not to start the truck when you stick in the paper clip.
I knew it was I was trying to give the impression that he needed to do a little research and reading so he would know for sure for himself... sorry if i confused anyone

Last edited by Nvidia78; 12-06-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Quick Reply: 92 S10- Bogging Down on Road