Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Trans Leak..............HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Flyinsooner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trans Leak..............HELP

First off, I've serched till im blue in the face and cross eyed. The engine was replaced with a lower mileage unit about 2 years ago. (pops let an intake mani leak spin a bearing). The shop that did the work (Harvey's Chevrolet, Shawnee OK) basically just ripped the old one out, destroying all the vac lines.

I've gone through and replaced all that I can reach. Got the 4X4 working, HVAC etc.......

4X4 not working again (will troubleshoot that later)

Problem is...........I cant reach the trans vent nipple on the top behind the bell housing to either cap it off, or replace the line. Any help on the best way to get up there?

Do i have to drop the rear drive shaft, loosen the rear cross brace and jack the front of the engine up to make room??

OR can i take the console out, cut a hole and get to it from there.

any help would be MUCHO APPRECIADO!!

Old 09-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Trans Leak..............HELP

So you were fairly unclear. What is the problem here? Is the vent leaking fluid? If so, that is signs of problems inside. If not, then you can just leave it as is.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:35 AM

yes its leaking, the vent has no vac line on it due to the shoddy engine swap. there are 2 small puddles under it every time I stop.

BTW THANKS for the quick response

Old 09-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would actually be looking for a kinked or restricted transmission cooler as well as possibly an over full condition on the transmission (check on level surface, engine running and fully warmed up to operating temperature).

Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 AM

tranny may be overfilled. As for the kinked/restricted cooler lines. I know there arent any kinks. I'm reluctant to flush the system. I inherited the rig from my pop. He's notorious for NEVER serviceing his vehicles so I know the trans has never been serviced. With 181K on it, I'm thinking it will only cause more problems.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Most places can flush the cooler lines by removing them at the transmission.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:39 AM

Ah duh. lol for that matter I can too.