Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Question about compass and fog lights.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:33 AM
sean485 is on a distinguished road
Default Question about compass and fog lights.

Hi all, I have a 98 Olds Bravada and am working on getting a few kinks on it worked out and would appreciate advice from someone more experienced with these particular vehicles. The first issue i'm having is the overhead compass, it is the one with MPG, temp, dist. to empty ect. When i start the truck it shows a "C" for the compass, but the moment i move at all it disappears. I have tried doing circles in parking lots, holding both the buttons and I can get it into the area select mode but the only way to get the "C" to show is upon starting, before moving at all. The temp, MPG, everything else appears to work as normal and from what I can tell by looking at diagrams the compass doesn't use any external inputs so is there something I'm missing or does this mean the display unit is trash?

The other question I had isn't so much of a problem as it is mod I would like to make. The vehicle had the factory fogs that the previous owner replaced with cheap driving lights. They burnt out and I have put in another, nicer set of driving lights and they light up the ditches nicely which I love since deer collisions are so common in my area. It is an incredible annoyance to have to push the fog button manually though, when the headlights themselves are completely automatic. Is there a way to make the fogs default on instead of having to turn them on manually each time? Preferably while still retaining the function of the OEM switch should I need to turn them off for any reason.

Appreciate any help, Sean.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:47 AM
Starting Member
scottl1346 is on a distinguished road

mine resets every time the windshield wipers are turned on still haven't figured out why kinda bothers me at night i can see it doing it in the corer of my eye lol

Old 02-01-2012, 10:48 AM

I just noticed I put this in completely the wrong section... Meant to put it in electrical

Old 02-01-2012, 12:08 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

^^^ its alright someone will move it.

First off i believe that "C" means calibrate not compass. But im also having problems with mine, its off by 90* and i cant get it to calibrate, i try to drive in circles but it will try to calibrate its self after i drive in one circle and youre supposed to drive in 3. But for you i wouldnt think its the display because everything else works. So you might try unplugging the battery for a few minutes to see if that works.

Edit: it sounds like its always in calibration mode, and when you start moving i think the C is supposed to go away. So if the C is there when you start the truck then immediately start drive in circles under 5 mph (i think that was my problem, i was going over 5 mph)

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 02-01-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
^^^ its alright someone will move it.

First off i believe that "C" means calibrate not compass. But im also having problems with mine, its off by 90* and i cant get it to calibrate, i try to drive in circles but it will try to calibrate its self after i drive in one circle and youre supposed to drive in 3. But for you i wouldnt think its the display because everything else works. So you might try unplugging the battery for a few minutes to see if that works.
I knew it meant calibrate, sorry if I was a bit unclear in my description. I am just curious if anything else comes into play for the compass to properly display other than the display unit itself. When I try to drive in circles I barely even move, much less go over 5mph before the "C" disappears.