Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Transmission (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/)
-   -   97 Blazer stalls while driving (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/97-blazer-stalls-while-driving-11568/)

koenigk 06-30-2007 01:11 PM

97 Blazer stalls while driving

I've got a 97 Blazer with 60,000 on it, it had been running fine up until a few months ago. I noticed it was getting harder to start up in the AM and it was winter time so just assumed it was too cold outside. The problem continued and the Blazer also started stalling, most of the time after starting it up and driving away but soon was stalling while driving after being warm. The stalling doesn't happen consistently or every day, at most once a week it will occur. I had it in the shop and they cleaned and reattached some positivie lead wires, but that didn't fix the problem. It's had a new alternator and new battery in the last year so am hoping it's not either of those. The next thing the shop was going to try was replacing the ignition switch. Is there anyone else who has seen this issue or may know of what's causing it?

Thanks,
Kel

ergin 07-09-2007 09:03 AM

RE: 97 Blazer stalls while driving

Hi there!

My problems are very similiar to yours! As I was trying to find answers I found this thread in another forum.
http://www.2carpros.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=96314

I am "almost 100%" convinced that it's the ignition swith. I will buy one as soon as I find out the GM-partnr.

swartlkk 07-09-2007 09:35 AM

Yup, mostlikely an ignition switch failure.

RockAuto.com shows PN 26061329 which once put into the search feature of GMPartsDirect.com's catalog comes up with a wide variety of applications. RockAuto.com also shows some aftermarket alternatives and your local autoparts store should also have a replacement.

Extreme care must be taken when replacing this component. You will be disconnecting the steering column electrical connections and removing components. Please follow the proper procedures for disabling the airbag system prior to starting ANY work on the vehicle.

koenigk 07-09-2007 11:18 AM

Ergin, were you also facing stalling issues while driving? I too have the problem with having to wait a couple seconds after turning to the On position before actually trying to start it up.

Let me know if you have both problems or just one and if the ignition switch replacement does work.

Thanks,
Kel

ergin 07-09-2007 12:25 PM

Hi koenigk

I have both of the problems you mentioned. :(
I am hoping that both these problems will be solved when I changed the ignition switch.

PS: During this weekend I cleaned both EGR-valve and IAC-valve, the car is smoother and feels better.

ergin 07-09-2007 12:29 PM

Hi swartlkk

Thanks a lot for the information.
I probably have to get some professional help to do the replacement.

ergin 07-19-2007 05:56 AM

I've received the Ignition switch 3 days ago and changed it the same day.

I have not had any stalling problems (or any problem at all) since then.

Thanks for all the information.

swartlkk 07-19-2007 07:00 AM

Glad to hear you solved your problems!! Thanks for letting us know!

koenigk 07-22-2007 09:39 PM

Glad to hear it fixed your problem. How easy was it to install? Did you have instructions from anywhere? And where did you order it from?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Kel

rodman1369 07-23-2007 05:45 AM

My 97 Blazer started getting harder to start and then started stalling at lower rpm. Turned out to be the Spider Fuel Injector. Good Luck.