Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98-02 blazer engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 PM
rodneydale is on a distinguished road
Default 98-02 blazer engine swap?

I have an 02 blazer 4x4 vin code W ,, can I take the motor from a 98 with the same vin. code and put it in my 02? what would I have to change if any thing?

Old 01-09-2011, 09:51 PM
okiedoak20 will become famous soon enoughokiedoak20 will become famous soon enough

from what i learned, there is a difference where the EGR valve is, on the older engine it is in the front mounted to the intake manifold, and on the newer engines there is not one,(double check that) there is also a differece on the Anti knock sensor on the rear of the block. so lookinto
this before you purchace, i found a place on ebay store called s-10 warehouse, i buy many parts from them, great prices, and fast delivery.
they are located in Florida, Tampa clearwater area.
hope this might help some...
Robert

Old 01-09-2011, 10:59 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

that EGR issue all depends on when your truck was made, as it was the late '02 build truck that have the EGR delete.

really simple to check, look @ the front of your engine & the donor engine.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:30 AM

ok thank you, my 02 dose not have the egr.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:37 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rodneydale
ok thank you, my 02 dose not have the egr.
Originally Posted by rodneydale
I have an 02 blazer 4x4 vin code W ,, can I take the motor from a 98 with the same vin. code and put it in my 02? what would I have to change if any thing?

sorry brother, i kinda dropped the ball on that one!

i never even noticed that your truck is a W-code, so it has to have an EGR in it. otherwise it would be the X-code 4.3L.

unless someone has already mucked with it?

Old 01-11-2011, 05:47 AM

Where else did they put them I don't have the egr on the front of my 02 but the vin code is w

Old 01-11-2011, 03:22 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
sorry brother, i kinda dropped the ball on that one!

i never even noticed that your truck is a W-code, so it has to have an EGR in it. otherwise it would be the X-code 4.3L.

unless someone has already mucked with it?

ok, now that i've taken my brain outta the freezer, i try to un-confuse you!

what you have is a late model W-code (introduced near the end of the '02 model year) without the EGR.

what i was getting messed up in my memory banks was the X-code that was introduced in '03 with a different fuel injection system. so while you do have a W-code engine, you just have a late production truck.

as far as i know, you can swap the intakes, but there's something else you need to watch for/do.

been up too long, too much s**t going on upstairs sometimes. sorry 'bout that.

but back to your OP, why do you need to swap the engine in your truck?

Old 01-12-2011, 04:10 AM

my 02 is tired, the motor is geting week rattles in the lower end. I found this 98 with a good motor but has body damage, I can get the motor for scrap price.so I am buing it weather I can use it or not, If I can use it, it will be great

Old 01-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
ok, now that i've taken my brain outta the freezer, i try to un-confuse you!

what you have is a late model W-code (introduced near the end of the '02 model year) without the EGR.

what i was getting messed up in my memory banks was the X-code that was introduced in '03 with a different fuel injection system. so while you do have a W-code engine, you just have a late production truck.

as far as i know, you can swap the intakes, but there's something else you need to watch for/do.

been up too long, too much s**t going on upstairs sometimes. sorry 'bout that.

but back to your OP, why do you need to swap the engine in your truck?
My 92 S-10 4 X 4 which I bought new in 92 came with the W engine and it has an EGR valve.

Are you saying some W enginea came with a EGR in 92, and some didn't?

Old 01-14-2011, 03:14 AM
BF Guru

did you even read what i was saying Jerry?

in the late build dates of the '02's, they deleted the EGR system.

besides, you know you can't even compare your generation of w-code with the more current ones. it's like apples to oranges.

Quick Reply: 98-02 blazer engine swap?