Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 Blazer engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009 | 05:12 PM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

If you got all those tools and a lift i woulk not think it would take long at all just take your time, and make sure you keep track of were bolts, and where they go dont forget to label wires good luck

Old 12-28-2009 | 08:55 PM
Beginning Member
krkline2gdsm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jacobcnc
If you got all those tools and a lift i woulk not think it would take long at all just take your time, and make sure you keep track of were bolts, and where they go dont forget to label wires good luck
Just trying to figure out the best approach. Drop tranny. pull engine with tranny.

Old 12-28-2009 | 11:46 PM
Starting Member

I would try without dropping the tranny but some people say the pumpkin in the front diff hits the oil pan when i did mine i left the tranny in came out just had to wiggle it i did have to just loosen the crossmember not remove whole tranny. Just one thing i would like to pass on you have to a specail tool to remove power steering pump pulley to get to the bolts, also sometimes need specail tool for the clutch fan. If you have any questions just keep asking on this thread i will keep checking it.

My s10 blazer was my first solo engine swap it worked out great truck still runs great over a year of beating the hell out of it.

Old 12-29-2009 | 07:59 AM
Beginning Member
krkline2gdsm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jacobcnc
I would try without dropping the tranny but some people say the pumpkin in the front diff hits the oil pan when i did mine i left the tranny in came out just had to wiggle it i did have to just loosen the crossmember not remove whole tranny. Just one thing i would like to pass on you have to a specail tool to remove power steering pump pulley to get to the bolts, also sometimes need specail tool for the clutch fan. If you have any questions just keep asking on this thread i will keep checking it.

My s10 blazer was my first solo engine swap it worked out great truck still runs great over a year of beating the hell out of it.
The clutch fan I am not worried about. I can get that off no problem. I used to have an electric fan installed but went back to clutch fan when I had plans to sell it but never did. I can get the fan off no problem. I antisiezed the threads so it should come right off.

I didnt know you had to remove the accessorys up front. Couldnt I just unbolt the bracket and take it out as a whole unit? Maybe even leave them bolted onto the engine and pull it out as 1 unit?

Right off the bat, I know I am going to pull the radiator, distributor, disconnect all cooling lines, engine harness, manifold to ypipe, etc and start moving stuff out of the way then take it from there and see what else is in the way.

I am going to check alldata and see what it says too to give me a better idea.

Old 12-29-2009 | 09:21 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by krkline2gdsm
The clutch fan I am not worried about. I can get that off no problem. I used to have an electric fan installed but went back to clutch fan when I had plans to sell it but never did. I can get the fan off no problem. I antisiezed the threads so it should come right off.

I didnt know you had to remove the accessorys up front. Couldnt I just unbolt the bracket and take it out as a whole unit? Maybe even leave them bolted onto the engine and pull it out as 1 unit?

Right off the bat, I know I am going to pull the radiator, distributor, disconnect all cooling lines, engine harness, manifold to ypipe, etc and start moving stuff out of the way then take it from there and see what else is in the way.
you can't get @ all the bolts on the power steering backet with the pump in place. and i still can't see why people pull the distrubutor. i've pulled dozens of engines, never pulled a distributor, never had an issue with that. just remove the cap/rotor.

and i've gotta ask, you kinda jack this thread to your job (to which jacob doesn't mind, so i guess it doesn't matter), but have you read the whole thread? 'cause you seem to be asking all the same questions over again.

Old 12-29-2009 | 10:39 AM
Starting Member

You defenty want to pull everything off the front of the engine, alt., a/c commpressor, and power steering pump. a/c commpressor will stay hooked up just roll out of the way. you wanna pull the power steering pump to aviod getting air in the lines and it is one less fluid to clean up off the ground.

There are ground wires all over on this engine one in the lower front on the engine on the Pass. side, one on the back of the head on the pass. side. i thind bout every thing else is pretty much obvious.

There a few thing you can just count on buying like motor mounts, and other odds and ends.

Old 12-29-2009 | 06:26 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I did mine by myself and I removed the drive shaft, removed the trans crossmember (supported the trans with a floor jack) Lowered the trans to tilt the engine back in order to get at the upper bell housing bolts. Left the trans under the car once I had it unbolted. You do need the power steering pump pulley puller in order remove the power steering pulley in order to get at the bolts behind the pulley. The same kit is used to install the pulley. My main mistake was that when I re-installed the pulley on the pump I did not ensure that the pulley was installed far enought on the pump shaft to be co-planer with the other engine pulleys and when I started the engine the belt ran crooked and destroyed itself in less than a minute. At this time I also replaced the fan clutch, radiator, thermostat, upper & lower Radiator Hoses and water pump. When I re-installed the engine I got some long bolts the same diameter as the bell housing bolts and used them as guide bolts to line up the engine to the bell housing. Used the long bolts to jack the bell housing and engine close enough to install the correct bolts. Made lining up the engine and transmission a lot easier especially since I was doing this solo. In order to remove the hood I used the engine hoist and some straps and supported the hood with the engine hoist while I unbolted the hood. It took me allmost two weeks to remove the engine, transfer items from the original engine to the long block and re-install the engine and get the car running again.

Last edited by mr.vls; 12-29-2009 at 06:38 PM.