Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1989 S-10 Blazer Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Beginning Member
gabhanjacisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1989 S-10 Blazer Will Not Start

Driving car the other day, doing 45 mph, just quit on me. It will crank but not start. I believe I hear the fuel pump click when I put key on Run. Here is what I have done so far: there are two fuel pump relays under hood attached to body. One on right closest to windshield clicks with key on Run, the other will not click. I swapped them over, get same result: one closest to windshield clicks, the other will not. I don't know if this is normal or not. I checked fuses inside car near emergency brake, all seem OK. Did not check to see if I have spark yet. Put fuel into throttle body, car will just crank but not start. Probably not the safest thing to do. Don't know if this was appropriate to do or not, or if it would even work regardless. Any suggestions? If I correctly recall, this same thing may have happened a few years ago and the mechanic replaced "the computer," as he called it. So, where is "the computer?"

And, what is black box with electrical connections near the brake fluid resorvoir? Don't know if this is black box is something I should look at or not.

Thanks!
Jeff
gabhanjacisa@bellsouth.net

Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Starting Member
matthewp is on a distinguished road

Usually you put fuel directly in the intake if your try to prime a cold engine, and it is always a very small amount. Starting fluid is the best way to see if you got spark and usually that's just a couple of quick squirts down the throttle body past the butterfly valve. If it starts for a second or two and dies you have spark, but not fuel.

If it doesn't fire at all you don't have spark and then its time to find out, it may just be a loose or broken wire.

If it is not getting fuel listen for the fuel pump by keying the truck on without starting the engine, the fuel pump should whine for a second or two before stoping.

If you have spark and fuel; then look in to getting the computer checked out. Computers usually will never fail unless they get really hot or wet. Ran into any deep puddles or go offroading (muddin')?

Also, that black box is probably an ABS module, trace the steel line coming from brake master cylinder and see if they go into this black box if they do it's the ABS and has nothing to do with the engine computer. A picture can help too.