Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Antifreeze leak (or flood actually)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Beginning Member
Lidberg is on a distinguished road

Yep, and you can definitely smell it inside the cabin.

I must've gotten antifreeze all over because even now, months later, I can smell antifreeze after it warms up, and I can hear it gurgling when I accelerate. Weird...

Old 09-29-2011, 01:24 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

gurgling is air trapped in the system..

Old 09-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Beginning Member
Lidberg is on a distinguished road

You would think it would work itself out after awhile... I only hear it when starting from a dead stop, and only for 3-4 seconds, then it goes away.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Beginning Member
b4d93r is on a distinguished road

Shop just called and it is the water pump. Luckily it also has a timing chain and not a belt so that won't have to be replaced either. The best news is our extended warranty is covering it all! w00t!

Old 09-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Beginning Member
DaveRush is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by b4d93r
Shop just called and it is the water pump. Luckily it also has a timing chain and not a belt so that won't have to be replaced either. The best news is our extended warranty is covering it all! w00t!
That's great news!

Old 09-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Don K is on a distinguished road
Default Don K

Had the intake manifold problem on my 97 s10 blazer. My brother's son had the same problem on a 98 s10. It doesn't show but the smell is there.

Think u hit something while trailblazin. By the way, leak was at front driver side on the manifold leak.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:00 AM
Default Don K

Glad to hear it. Take care.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:05 AM
Default Don K

Does anyone know what catalytic converter (aftermarket) works on a 97 s10 blazer 4.3 litre without turning the "service engine soon" lite on ?

Old 09-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Beginning Member
b4d93r is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Don K
Had the intake manifold problem on my 97 s10 blazer. My brother's son had the same problem on a 98 s10. It doesn't show but the smell is there.

Think u hit something while trailblazin. By the way, leak was at front driver side on the manifold leak.

Hope this helps.
Possibly. Although it didn't start until 3 days after I got back, not sure if there is normally a "delay" in that type of stuff.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:51 AM
Grindmeapound is on a distinguished road

Hi people, i'm new on here, I have a 99 loaded Blazer i bought it new back in 2000.... anyways in regards with the coolant leaks, mine started about 3 years ago i never could find from where, let me back up a second, I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty, i have worked on all my vehicles over the years, but anyways my leak started out small, then in the last year, about a gallon every two weeks. Thats when i found this site, and yes, my leak is front top alittle bit towards drivers side, above my water pump. Isaw the thread on here with pics goin A to Z with tearin it down and fixing this, i was temted to go wiyj the Stop Leak B.S. that cost 60 bucks but decided not to After the following took place...... Which was instead of always purchaseing the more expensive G.M.Delco Branded Coolant, say like the one prestone makes? the last two jugs i put in were from O'reillys brand, only because it was on sale for about 12 bucks out the door as opposed to around 18 dollars, and yes, i made Dam sure to never use the green stuff, i know what mixin them can and will do, a freind of mine did that, had to replace everything in his coolant system,EVERYTHING! So anyways my leak stopped on it's own after about two juggs of the O'reillys brand, Whats up with That? Iwant to say because the weather has gotten Hot up here in Michigan, but i don't think thats all of it, this leaks been goin on for atleast three, maybe four years. Half a Jug every week wise, so i'll take it! knock on wood! And heres hope'n I'm done with it. I'll come back on here in a week or so, if anyone else does this and they get the same results, then i'm thinking the O'reillys had something to do with my Fix, t.t.u. all later.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze leak (or flood actually)