Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tranny filter and fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 11:15 PM
Beginning Member
Matt Evan Cinquini is on a distinguished road
Default Tranny filter and fluid change

does any one recommend changing transmission fluid and filter if the fluid is burnt? I have a 93 s10 and It is only burnt when it’s ran for a while, and then once I wipe off the dipstick, and put it in a second time, it isn’t burnt and it’s normal red. I have no idea if the previous owner ever even did it so I feel like it would be a good idea. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions, thanks

Old 03-02-2019, 11:44 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Some will say that replacing the fluid and filter will dissolve material that is helping keep up the friction in the clutch packs resulting in slipping when shifts are attempted. To me if a transmission is that far gone, then you are only delaying the inevitable.

Burned transmission fluid doesn't seem like a good thing though.

If Transman replies, do whatever he says!

Old 03-03-2019, 12:30 AM
odat is on a distinguished road

I'm not Transman but.......
Fluid is either burnt or it's not.

In-less your transmission is already slipping just a pan drop and replacement of that much fluid and filter shouldn't hurt a thing and will pick up viscosity of the fluid. When replacing the fluid do not over fill or under fill the level. Under will cause over heating and slippage and over will cause foaming and and clutch damage.

With high mileage transmissions DO NOT do a total flush as it should replace most of the total fluid along with all the grit that was worn off the old packs and it is needed for the older worn clutch packs to bite and not slip.

Last edited by odat; 03-03-2019 at 12:37 AM.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:41 AM
Beginning Member

[QUOTE=christine_208;704202]Some will say that replacing the fluid and filter will dissolve material that is helping keep up the friction in the clutch packs resulting in slipping when shifts are attempted. To me if a transmission is that far gone, then you are only delaying the inevitable.

Burned transmission fluid doesn't seem like a good thing though.

If Transman replies, do whatever he says!

i hope he does! I could use all the help I can on this. From what i heard, it can only damage a transmission if only a flush is done. I’m sure that this tranny in my blazer is worn, especially at 308k miles lol but most of the time it shifts good, only when it’s ran for a while does it shift weirdly. Such as upon acceleration, it’s laggy and will only move forward if in low gears or if I give it a lot of gas on the throttle. If a fluid and filter change will help the tranny a bit and keep it running until it can’t no longer, than that’s fine

Old 03-03-2019, 12:47 AM
Beginning Member

[QUOTE=odat;704210]I'm not Transman but.......
Fluid is either burnt or it's not.

In-less your transmission is already slipping just a pan drop and replacement of that much fluid and filter shouldn't hurt a thing and will pick up viscosity of the fluid. When replacing the fluid do not over fill or under fill the level. Under will cause over heating and slippage and over will cause foaming and and clutch damage.

With high mileage transmissions DO NOT do a total flush as it should replace most of the total fluid along with all the grit that was worn off the old packs and it is needed for the older worn clutch packs to bite and not slip

would you consider it slipping if it won’t shift on acceleration? It doesn’t do it constantly either. Days will go with it shifting with no problems. Cause other than that, it shifts through every gear fine. I really want to make this blazer last as long as possible and if a fluid and filter change helps a bit, I will do it.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:02 AM

Sounds like it's not down shifting, I think tps helps control that but I'm really not sure. I would have it scanned for codes and I'd prob do the pan drop - fluid and filter change.

Old 03-03-2019, 06:03 PM
Beginning Member

Sounds like it's not down shifting, I think tps helps control that but I'm really not sure. I would have it scanned for codes and I'd prob do the pan drop - fluid and filter change

yeah i think I’ll do that. I really can’t imagine anything bad happening if I exchange the fluid and replace the filter. It may even help it, definitely don’t want to keep running on burnt trans fluid

Old 03-03-2019, 07:02 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

1993 will be a 700R4 hydraulically controlled transmission. No inputs from engine will change the behavior of the transmission. It does use a TV cable to control pressure for shifting points,cable must be adjusted correctly or you will damage transmission. The unit also uses a mechanical governor which is susceptible to contamination that will cause various shifting problems. Check out this video on how to adjust TV cable.

As far as changing fluid I will say over my years that more transmissions have failed after a fluid change on a neglected trans than it helped. Good luck.
Brad

Old 03-03-2019, 07:23 PM

Well shows what I know - My toy was built out of a 92 and has a 700R4 in it but I was told that 92 was the trans year and also had 4L60E then in 93 was 4L60E only

Old 03-03-2019, 07:40 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

@odat 93 was a transition year but have seen more 60E in the heavy trucks and SUVs in that year. Not saying it can’t be a 60E but I would suspect it’s a good old 700. Probably should verify before proceeding with trouble shooting.

Quick Reply: Tranny filter and fluid change