Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Best head bolt sealant?/Ps pulley install ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 01:28 AM
ChrisC is on a distinguished road
Default Best head bolt sealant?/Ps pulley install ?

Well, IF the weather lets up a little tomorrow, Im wanting to slap the heads back on my 95 W blazer. Im torn on which sealant to use on these bolts. I couldnt find Permatex #2 locally, also im too lazy to order and wait for some. I have the Permatex Indian Head gasket shellac, Ive got red/black/blue/copper/gray/etc RTV in the tool box. I also have the Permatex Thread sealer with teflon, Thats what Im planning on using unless you guys recommend something else, I really dont wanna tear back into this lovely blazer ...What have you guys used that worked good.

Also,
Has anyone used the bolt/nut trick to reinstall a powersteering pulley? Where you thread a bolt into the ps pump shaft and use a socket/washer/nut to drive the pulley on? Recall what size hardware it took? Thank you

Old 02-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have used Loctite 592 and Permatex #2 in the past and never had a problem with leaking coolant around those bolts that penetrate the water jackets. I only use it on those holes that go into the water jackets though. You really want a non-hardening sealant so that it doesn't cause issues later on down the road if you are getting into the engine again.

Don't forget to take a bottoming tap to all of the threaded holes to make sure they are clean. Spray the holes down with brake cleaner to clean any additional residue out of the threads. Then blow the holes out with compressed air. You will also want to make sure that the bolts are thoroughly cleaned.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:09 PM

Ok, an opinion I can trust. Located some Permatex #2. Got it Today. Used my shop vac to drain the block! Bolt was stuck and now its round. Got new headbolts and the Fel-Pro mega kit for $81.00. Funny I could'nt get the exhaust manifold gaskets anywhere unless it was in a kit. She goes back together tomorrow.

Another question for you kyle, if you dont mind. Mine is a 95, that means net-lash with the rocker arm nut positive stops. When reinstalling, I just slap the push-rods back in and torque the rocker arm nuts to 20 ft lbs, of course after assembly lubeing the tips of pushrod tips,rocker ***** and valve stems.

Theres no rotation sequence to adjusting the valves? Just torque and go right?

Last edited by ChrisC; 03-01-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just torque them down and you'll be set. Some assembly lube on the tip of the push rod won't hurt a thing.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:21 PM

One minute responce! I could'nt ask for more! Thank you man.