Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Transmission (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/)
-   -   Car shuts off while driving battery light comes on? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/car-shuts-off-while-driving-battery-light-comes-78860/)

amp042 04-25-2013 05:39 PM

Car shuts off while driving battery light comes on?

This has happened twice now One the other day and today. I was driving getting of a ramp on I-19 when i come to a semi-full stop my car shuts off. My RPMs, Oil, Everyone drops to 0 and the battery light came one. Thank god it was a red light. I just turned the ignition switch again and it started off. Any suggestions why this is happening. 1995 Blazer LS 4x4.

On another note, i had a squeaky pulley so i sprayed some silicon lube spray to get rid of it. The squeak is gone, but now this. I don't know if its just the belt slipping from the pulleys or if my Alternator is going bad. Hopefully its nothing too serious.. Never did this before I used the spray.

rexazz2 04-25-2013 07:57 PM

I dont think it has anything to do with spraying the belt

Unfortunately unless it stays dead it wil be very tough to track down

Is the check engine light on when it is running?
If it is you need to read the codes and see what its saying

AndrewO1991 04-25-2013 08:45 PM

If it only happens after a long trip maybe the Torque converter clutch is sticking. Try shifting into neutral before you come to a stop and see if it still stalls.

warthogdriver 04-25-2013 08:51 PM

if this happened right after you sprayed the belt it may be the cause. have the bat and alternator tested as well. take the belt off and clean it up...maybe to slick now.

rexazz2 04-25-2013 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by warthogdriver (Post 581232)
if this happened right after you sprayed the belt it may be the cause. have the bat and alternator tested as well. take the belt off and clean it up...maybe to slick now.

it starts up again , if the belt was slipping to the point the voltage was low and stall it should not start back up

amp042 04-26-2013 01:33 AM

So I've been looking online and what I've found is. It can either be my EGR. A faulty TCCS or a clogged up fuel filter. I also forgot to mention my PCV valve hose is busted. Could that be it?

AndrewO1991 04-26-2013 07:39 AM

busted PCV hose will cause a large vacuum leak. It could casue issues.

amp042 04-26-2013 09:58 AM

Thing is I've been driving around with a busted hose for a while and never gave me any problems. Did it again this morning. Seems to be every time that I'm coming off the freeway, except this time it took a little for it to start. So, probably a faulty Torque converter clutch.

AndrewO1991 04-26-2013 10:16 AM

Well, EGR can have the same effect too. But if its the TCC clutch stalling it then putting the truck in neutral will make it not stall, the TCC clutch acts just like a clutch on a stick shift. If its engaged when the car stops it stalls the engine just as if you stopped a stick shift without pushing the clutch pedal to disengage the clutch. If the EGR is sticking it will not matter what gear you are in as this is directly engine related. Both EGR and TCC are activated during high speed, low rpm travel like cruising down the interstate. If one fails to disengage when you come back to idle it could cause problems.

amp042 04-26-2013 06:29 PM

So it shuts off even in neutral. EGR then huh?