Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Changed intake now a few problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:54 AM
Starting Member
travisrussell88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changed intake now a few problems

Problems: timing seems to be off, followed all procedures on alldata (disconnect timing wire underdash-passenger side, adjust to 0*TDC, tighten distribitor, reconnect wire.) but it seems to be off still, we re adjusted it after getting spark knock, then again when it started backfiring, reset it at 0* again, and then retarded it slightly when we got what sounds like spark knock, didn't change anything so we advanced it back to 0*. it runs rougher now since we did the intake, and doesn't idle all that well, the biggest issue is it sometimes seems fine, and sometimes acts like timing is off. I havn't noticed any lack of power. just idles rough, vibrates more in clutch, shifter, and steering wheel, sometimes in seat...all at idle and if i rev a little in neutral(parked).

anyone else have these issues and what can i do about them, should i worry about it or just leave it be? does it sound like its jumping timing or is it probably something else lie clutch or tranny? i have the getrag hm290 with all new clutch hydraulics. also sometimes it starts funny now, its starts normal one time then seems to fire against itself other times.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:48 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like it could be pick up coil,ignition control module,etc.. they can do all kinds of idling/timing issues.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Starting Member
travisrussell88 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, so i spent about an hour adjusting the timing very very little at a time and the roughness has faded, it hasnt fired against itself since and it's not backfiring, it sounds smoother too, now we'll find out if it's jumping timing...if so then my dad suggested replacing the balancer before anything else.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I assume we are talking about the '92 you have listed in your signature given the statement about the timing wire.

Have you inspected the pickup coil located in the base of the distributor? It's possible that there is a problem there and that could definitely cause erratic timing.