Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Changed tranny fluid and filter, now problem with drive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:16 PM
navyblue_sk8er is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changed tranny fluid and filter, now problem with drive?

Well since my truck has been down for a pitman arm and idler arm change I figured I would do a complete fluid change like I've been wanting to do. So among the changes was the Tranny filter and fluid. I started the blazer warmed her up check fluid level and reversed out of the drive way. Put it in Drive and no matter how much gas I give her she barley moves forward. So after a filter change and fluid reverse work perfect and drive barely works. So I dropped the tranny pan again today to make sure I got the right filter. I need a deep pan filter. Took it to AutoZone compared the filter with the shallow and I do have the right filter. So what could be the problem here? One guy here at my shop that used to work at a tranny shop said to check the fuses by the driver side door that go to the 2 solenoids that hang lose in the tranny. I'm at work right now so I haven't been able to check it right now, but anybody else got any ideas on anything. Maybe I screwed something up. Tranny worked perfect before the fluid and filter change. Thx guys.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:22 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Changed tranny fluid and filter, now problem with drive?

how many miles on your truck and has the fluid or filter ever been changed before. if it's not done regularly you can shock your tranny.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 PM

Right now its at 96thou. Bought it at 65thou. Its never been changed since I've had it and I don't know when it was changed before that. Thats why I wanted to change all fluids, that way I know when they were done. How would I fix a "shocked" tranny?

Old 02-20-2008, 08:19 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Lucas sells tranny treatment for the shock.
Although I doubt that is your problem.

Your positive you got he tranny full of fluid?
Engine running, shift through all gears, leave it parked on flat level surface witht he engine running and check fluid level.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:36 AM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point

What I have seen..... Changing the fluid in a high mileage tranny, causes it to stop working.... Reason being is that all the dirt/crud/stuff in the fluid is helping the worn clutches maintain friction. Nice clean fluid does not have all the "additives", so, clutches slip...... It was our policy at the dealership to warn customers that have never changed the tranny fluid, that this was a possibility, and we would NOT gaurantee that the tranny would work afterwards. Most folks would simply pass on this service, and just have us top up the fluid. For those that went ahead anyway, most of the time, no problem, however, there was always the ones that would simply not move in any forward gear afterwards. Then we get to tell the customer it's time for a rebuild, or new tranny...... Great Fun.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:27 PM

Hhmm, well that doesn't make me happy at all. Just spent lots of money on lift kit and tires and pitman arm and idler arm change and all the fluids and now a previously perfect running tranny quits after a fluid and filter change. I've been working on it since about thanksgiving and I was going to the alliament shop and then my truck would have been finished and could take the lift kit out and have some fun. So much for that idea. Now looks likea tranny rebuild. Never ending. Hopefully someone is having tons of goodluck, cuase I'm having nothing but bad luck. I think I'm going to put her in the back yard in the corner for awhile so she can think about what she has done. BAD BLAZER!

Old 02-21-2008, 03:34 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

did you happen to notice any metal filings in the tranny pan when ya drained it? I would also think that the filter could be not in properly i had that happen to me on a diff veh i owned.. There was a little rubber o-ring that wasnt on and the tranny didnt wanna shift till it was put on.. ive never had mine apart yet so i dont know if its the same..

Old 02-22-2008, 09:17 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah don't quit now.
Typically when you change the fluid it takes a little time for teh new fluid to remove the debris. I got the impression this was an instantansous thing. As in, you dropped the pan, changed the filter, put it all back together and now it doens work?

The debris doesn't stick to teh clutch packs, it sticks to the gaskets, seals, etc. Gaskets/seals get hard when teh tranny fluid gets too hot, that makes them not seal properly. That cuase the clutch packs to lose some material (slippage), and that debris gets trapped in teh leaking seal/gasket, and your tranny still lives. New tranny fluid is full of detergents and they clean out that debris, generally its not an instant thing, unless your tranny was already on its last leg.

The question above is a very valid one.
What color was your old fluid?
Did it have a burnt smell?

If you are going to quit, I'll give you $50 for it.