Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Transmission (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/)
-   -   coolant problem (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/coolant-problem-86459/)

dlmallory 07-09-2014 12:58 PM

coolant problem

Alright stuck scratching my head on this one.

I have a 2004 chevy blazer 2 door 4x4 4.3V6

I had the issue of running hot when I was idling so after flushing the radiator and replacing the thermostat a while back I bought a new radiator. Also I had the issue that when I would shut my blazer off the engine temperature would increase to 220 or 230. Not sure why this is the case.

I decided to replace the radiator last week. Now at idle I am running cool but at speed of 65 - 70 i am warming up past 210. Not sure why this is happening. Also I am still having the issue with my engine temperature increasing when i turn it off.

Any ideas?

jpimp 07-09-2014 01:01 PM

air in the cooling system?

dlmallory 07-09-2014 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by jpimp (Post 630588)
air in the cooling system?

Tried burping it but nothing appeared to change.

Biggboy 07-13-2014 12:44 PM

Your temp increases when you shut off your blazer because the flow of coolant stops. Restart it, and you will see the temp start falling after the coolant starts circulating again.

dlmallory 07-14-2014 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Biggboy (Post 630839)
Your temp increases when you shut off your blazer because the flow of coolant stops. Restart it, and you will see the temp start falling after the coolant starts circulating again.

Yes this happens every time and I understand why the temperature increases because the engine is off. I am not sure why its increasing to 230F.

Also my temperature runs at 200 but once I turn my air on the temperature shoots to 210+ and I can never get it to cool back down again until i leave the engine off for some time. Not sure whats causing this.

newguy 07-14-2014 06:27 AM

Is this with the dummy gauge on the dash. They can unaccurate

dlmallory 07-14-2014 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by newguy (Post 630884)
Is this with the dummy gauge on the dash. They can unaccurate

No I am using a computer straight from the obd II connection.

The coolant mainly gets hot when the air is turned on and I am at high speeds.

fletch125 07-15-2014 02:40 PM

How long did you burp the system for? I had a similar issue with air in the system and ended up burping it and also holding it at 2k rpm for a few minutes to make sure all air was out of the system. Is there any leaking at all?

dlmallory 07-15-2014 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by fletch125 (Post 630971)
How long did you burp the system for? I had a similar issue with air in the system and ended up burping it and also holding it at 2k rpm for a few minutes to make sure all air was out of the system. Is there any leaking at all?

I started it cold and worked it all the way til it warmed up. Probably like 5 to 10 mins. Hasnt seemed to help.

When I do get hot I do smell some coolant but I dont see any leaking.

I am to the point where I am going to try and have the water pump and fan clutch replaced just to try and fix it.