Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

trans filter exploded

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 02:43 PM
ragainff is on a distinguished road
Default trans filter exploded

i have a 1995 blazer with 135,000 miles. it suddenly started slipping in first gear. the fluid was not too bad and the level was fine. i pulled the pan and discovered fibers all over the place. the filter had come apart and spread its Christmas cheer all over my valve body! anyone ever had this problem? i went ahead and replaced all my solenoids and refilled it with the old fluid. now it runs good again. i was hoping my sudden engine stalling problem was related to the lock up solenoid but that problem wasnt resolved. at least i have ruled out the transmission!!!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:54 AM
Beginning Member
JohnnyALCATRAZ is on a distinguished road

Does the engine suddenly stall under load or at idle? Does the level of fuel affect it? Or any other factors outside the vehicle? (i.e. it stalls out when driving in the rain etc.)

Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 AM

engine will become 'unresponsive' but keep idling, then die. if i am driving, i will feel it lose all power and can give it more throttle and it will pick back up, but if i dont notice it in time, it dies. it always restarts. if it is at idle, it just dies and i can restart it immediately. it will then run for 5 seconds or more, but usually more. it does it on full, empty, load or no load, hot, cold, a/c on or off. it has no pattern to it. it has new coolant temp sensor and pigtail, new map sensor and pigtail, new tps and pigtail, new fuel pump and filter, cleaned out egr. new cap rotor plugs and wires. i have not replaced the ignition module.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Beginning Member
JohnnyALCATRAZ is on a distinguished road

By new pump and filter I assume you mean the separate pieces and not just the filter connected to the pump...ignition module would be my next guess, you can take it off by removing two ridiculously tiny screws and have it tested at your friendly neighborhood parts purveyor...have them test it multiple times and show you the hookup diagram, make sure its right, you can also bench test your coil, there's a thread in here detailing that process I believe, and can also be found in the haynes manual. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Default still not fixed

i replaced the fuel pump, screen, and fuel filter again. and replaced the ignition module. that didnt fix anything. i unplugged the TPS. it revved high. i put it back on, undid the battery cables for a bit, and put it all back together. this time it idled for about 15 minutes before dying. i restarted it, put it in reverse, and power stalled the crap out of it without problem. i went inside to get a cup of coffee and returned to the blazer, Key on Engine off. i have not checked the coil yet, but i am wondering if i have a broken winding or something. if coil doesnt check out, i am off to Ebay for a computer.