Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Cylinder #2 issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 11:06 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road
Default Cylinder #2 issue

Ok, I've got a problem that I can't figure out and I didn't see anything about it on here. It started with me noticing my harmonic balancer was outta whack. So I had a new one put on not thinking anything about the why it got that way. So sure enough, within a month, it was shaking again. Along with that, whenever I REALLY get on the gas, like I'm tryin to pass someone goin up a hill or whatever, I get an engine code sayin cylinder number two misfire. So I went through and put in a new distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires. I didn't cheap out either-I put good quality parts in. Well, that still didn't fix it. So...any other ideas? I was thinkin maybe a piston ring, but if it were that wouldn't I be getting oil on my spark plug?

Old 05-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the harmonic balancer is used to surging do to the way it's designed to function. What worries me is the balancer was eaten up so quickly, to me this suggest a possible warped cranck. I don't know if that would also through a cylinder misfire code, If it is warped it could not be getting enough compression on that cylinder and is reading it as a misfire but that would be almost outrageous warpage in my opinion.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:42 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

Ok, here's an update just in case anyone ever checks this out in the future....

I went by the dealership and talked with the shop foreman and he told me that the harmonic balancer is just a problem the blazers have and there's nothing they can do about it. He said they've went back and forth with the engineers and the engineers don't have any fixes on that. Then when I told him about the misfire, he said the only thing left is my fuel injectors and it would most likely need new injectors. But the bitch to that is-its under my intake manifold so I'd have to take all that off just to get to them.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A compression test on the motor will tell you the health of #2 against all the other cylinders.

As far as the balancer goes, your crank could be damaged on the end allowing the balancer to wobble.