Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Which oil to put in a new, rebuilt GM 4.3L?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Starting Member
S10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which oil to put in a new, rebuilt GM 4.3L?

Hello, I am really close to getting my new engine. I will be getting a rebuilt GM 4.3L from my dealer. I wanted to know what oil is recommended to put in it. Someone told me I should put in 5w-30 but I want to be sure. I was thinking Castrol GTX 5w-30 (regular white quart) if 5w-30 is correct. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

5w30 is for pretty much all temperate climates. You should be fine there. I would go with a decent conventional oil for the first few oil changes to ensure that the rings bed in properly, then feel free to switch to whatever you want, synthetic, synthetic-blend, etc.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Starting Member

Ok great. One last question, though. After how many oil changes? 5 or 6 maybe?

Old 09-29-2010, 03:38 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

For these engines, my opinion is that conventional oil will do just fine unless you just want to change over to a synthetic at some point, but several used oil analysis reports have shown me that conventional goes ~4,500 miles in mine with no problem.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:51 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
For these engines, my opinion is that conventional oil will do just fine unless you just want to change over to a synthetic at some point, but several used oil analysis reports have shown me that conventional goes ~4,500 miles in mine with no problem.
Sounds good then. I'll also be saving a bit because synthetic isn't cheap either. But thanks to both of you for all the help. I really don't want to screw up this engine by putting in the wrong oil. Thanks again.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:27 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Follow the instruction sheet that comes with the engine. Make sure you install the oil pump pick up with the installing tool. (Available from Aut Zone as a loaner) I also installed a GM Goodwrench 4.3L Remanufactored Engine. I now have over 70K on it and it runs very solid. I also installed a GM Remanufactored Transmision as well. I have been very happy with both. When I installed my engine I also installed a new radiator, water pump, thermostat and fan clutch and transfered every thing else. When I started the engine I tore up the belt due to not having the power steering pump pulley on the shaft far enough and the belt was running crooked. Good luck with the install. By the way I run full synthetic as it helps with mileage and there are no impurities in the oil. (Personal Choice)