Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Do I have a Coolant Leak???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:15 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Do I have a Coolant Leak???

I would clean off the intake, make sure that the coolant is full in the rad and the overflow tank, then keep an eye on it and see how fast and how much is leaking.
It may be an intake leak but it might just be leaking from the thermostat housing.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:28 AM
chevys rule is an unknown quantity at this point

I would go with the Dex-Colant stuff right the 50/50 mix or is that the stuff to stay away from I can't remember

I heard the regular green was very bad

Old 02-10-2008, 11:44 AM
88_Blaze4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah the dexcool is a good choice, use what came in the truck, do not mix the green with the red(dexcool).

Old 02-10-2008, 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: 88_Blaze4x4

yeah the dexcool is a good choice, use what came in the truck, do not mix the green with the red(dexcool).
Thats all I need'ed to know

I just know I read that the Dexcool eats away at the heads but that could be another brand

What I'm doing on Monday is going to get a Oil change and then have them look at the engine so I know 100% what it is

Old 02-10-2008, 12:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Dexcool does not eat metal.

The best long life coolant that you can buy now is Zerex G05.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:37 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen anything verifiable to lead me away from DexCool.

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

The best long life coolant that you can buy now is Zerex G05.
Kyle, can you point me to some research thatproves it to be better? I'm always open to new evidence.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The G05 coolant is what a few european manufacturers as well as Daimler/Chrysler & Ford have been using for quite a while now. It is also what John Deere has been using in their tractors for a long while. It can actually be bought in a John Deere bottle at any JD parts place, but it'll be more expensive.

Read up on it here: Zerex G-05 - Valvoline.com

This is all that we used in our tractors without me even knowing about it. It wasn't until BTJustice's Reply to the Dexcool thread that I realized I had been using this coolant for a good long time on our tractors. Never had any issues in any of them cooling system related and they have thousands of hours of use on this coolant at maximum engine RPM.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:59 PM

I found the problem my Friends,Video is being uploaded as I type this

Tick-Tick-Tick

Strange puddle in the middle of the manifold by where the weep hole is located ummmmmm

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...icktick007.flv

It seems to be very faint in this video for some reason so I will later today take another video

But thinking about it last week was when I started to hear this Tick Tick and have had a 3.1 that had a water pump go I should of picked up on it.

I thought it was the Belt but Not now thats for sure

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

I just took another video and you can really here it

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...terpump011.flv

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Please DO NOT continue to post in this manner. If another member has yet to reply, use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your posts. This isn't the first time this has been brought up.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:13 PM

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y12...icktick007.flv

It seems to be very faint in this video for some reason so I will later today take another video

But thinking about it last week was when I started to hear this Tick Tick and have had a 3.1 that had a water pump go I should of picked up on it.

I thought it was the Belt but Not now thats for sure

Old 02-10-2008, 06:35 PM

I just took another video and you can really here it

Quick Reply: Do I have a Coolant Leak???