Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

EGR Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 03:57 PM
02warrior350 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EGR Valve?

I'm currently thinking of replacing my EGR valve. The reason i am thinking to do so is because what is going on with my truck has been discussed in another forum that i checked out. My truck stutters when i let off the gas, but then catches up. It only does this after the truck has warmed up, and on occasion has stalled in reverse. This is a real pain in the *** when i'm plowing. Does anyone know if the egr valve has anything to do with it, or if theres something else wrong? if you need a better description of whats going on with it i'd be glad to let you know in more detail, but thats about as good as it gets.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:09 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: EGR Valve?

automatic tranny i`m guessing??? It almost sounds like the torque converter locking up..If your plowing then your prob doin sum damage to the tranny.. what veh are we talking about here year model... if i`m reading your screen name right it has sumthing to do with a 350 older Blazer???

Old 03-02-2008, 04:17 PM

its not in the tranny, tranny goes fine. And yeah ,its a 92 k1500 blazer with the 350 tbi. Its been doin it since i first got the truck, it was worse when i got it. Then we had to change the tranny cuz it was no good, and itsstill doin it. From what i've read its either not getting enough fuel pressure or the EGR is clogged/stuck. The other thing is it only does it when the engine gets warmed up. So when i'm driving down the road and let off the gas "glub, glub,glub" ,basically it sounds like its gonna stall,then it catches back up and runs fine until i let off the gas. Any amount of gas is good, so i'm leaning more towards its not getting enough fuel pressure, supposed to be around 13psi.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:27 PM

i`m not sure about this one but does the truck have a TPS switch? i`m just thinkin that now because a frind of mine had a 90 chevy van with a 350 and it was kinda doin sumtin just like that he replaced that switch and since then has been fine....

Old 03-02-2008, 04:32 PM

It does have a throttle position sensor..but no switch..i've heard of them going bad too. Thanks i'll look into that.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:47 PM

Dats actually what i meant to type not switch but sensor

Old 03-02-2008, 04:53 PM

lol sall good so right now i'vechecked some stuff out on the web, and i think i'm gonna change the TPS, and get a new fuel filter. As well as take off the EGR valve and give it a good cleaning and get a new gasket for it. After i get that done to it, we'll see how it acts, hopefully it runs a lot better. Anything else i should be looking at? cause i'm definitely thinking of keeping itunless someone around heres willing to pay me $3,000 haha.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Cleaning the EGR valve is fairly easy to do even on the older TBI motors with the vacuum actuated valve. You just have to be careful with the carbon cleaner as it will shorten the life of the vacuum diaphram if it gets to it. You will want a new gasket. Remove the EGR valve and clean it using some sensor safe carbon cleaner or EGR specific cleaner (if available) being careful to only soak the exhaust side of the valve. While you have it out, you may want to test it with a vacuum source opening and closing the valve to ensure that it operates as it should.

The TPS sensor can be checked with a multimeter. You are looking for the voltage to smoothly increase from around 0.5V with the throttle closed to around 4.5V with the throttle fully open (for a newer TPS sensor anyway, I do not have my references in front of me for your particular TPS sensor). The voltage values are not that important, but the smooth transition with no drop outs is crucial. The test is accomplished by back probing the connection with everything hooked up, key-on, engine off. If the voltage ever drops out to zero, the sensor itself is bad. Test it nice and slow and repeat until you are sure that there are no dead spots. You can also test it with the sensor disconnected and using your multimeter in resistance mode.

Also, this cannot be stressed enough, please always include the vehicle information in your post. It is preferred to just put it in your signature and check the option box for always attach signature to post. That way you do not have to always remember to attach it.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Fast89z28 is an unknown quantity at this point

HEY O2WORR what type of EGR system does it have? does it have a vac line hooked up to it or is it the selinoid type?

Old 03-08-2008, 06:39 PM

its got a solenoid fast.

Quick Reply: EGR Valve?