Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Solenoid clicking but starter not turning

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Starting Member
rhs856 is on a distinguished road
Default Solenoid clicking but starter not turning

I have a 2002 ZR2 with a 4.3. Just changed the battery and had 3 great starts from it. Left it overnight and when I went to move it, the dash showed voltage (which I checked), the fuel pump engaged, and the starter solenoid clicked, but the engine wasn't turning over. I tapped the starter and solenoid to no avail. Never had this problem before.

Could it be the starter? What's the best way to check it if it might be the problem?

Old 12-19-2009, 05:05 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Clean the wires going to the starter. Also. Check the starter bolts that they are tight to ensure a good ground

Old 12-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Starting Member
bigjon1 is an unknown quantity at this point

It very well may be just the selenoid, when I had my f150 it would do the exact same thing you're describing and every time it was the selenoid. I personally would try that first, its a lot cheaper and it just might fix your problem.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:08 PM
96BlazerGrrrl96 is on a distinguished road

I just had the same problem with mine started fine then the other morning went to start it and nothing. The battery voltage was fine and everything we tapped the solenoid and starter to no avail. Went and bought a new starter and installed it runs prefect starts up great now. Turns out a relay in the solenoid was damaged my bet is its def the starter.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:48 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

The solonoid is nothing but a plunger with a large copper or brass washer. When the key is turned the plunger is pulled and the washer bridges the battery power to the armature in the starter. When the washer or the internal contacts gets worn due to arcing it will not make contact with both terminals. If the solonoid is part of the starter you can take the solonoid apart and flip the washer over and have a brand new surface to make contact. If the terminals are worn as well they need to be replaced and can be purchased from most auto electric shops. The other possibility is that the armature has gone bad and the motor will not crank. I have repaired many a starter by reversing the washer. On cars that have a remote solonoid the solonoid housing is usally sealed and you can not take it apart without busting it open. The clicking you hear is the washer making contact with the two terminals on the inside of the starter. If you have a loose battery conection you would not have enough current to drive the starter motor. If the starter is clicking first check your headlights. If they are bright you should have plenty of battery power, next check the conections between the battery and starter, check the conditon of the battery cable to the starter. If this is all good and you need to start the car you can start the car by turning the key to on and at the starter use a screwdriver to bridge the solonoid post to the battery terminal at the starter. (This will only work if the solonoid is bad and not the armature) (If you never jumped a starter with a screwdriver before It kind of startles you when you make contact and the starter cranks with you underneath the car) Just make sure that you are holding the handle of the srewdriver when you make contact.

Last edited by mr.vls; 12-29-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:04 AM
crazylazy9 is on a distinguished road
Default similer issue

Got a 2000 blazer 4.3 automatic. Recently put motor in and had "mechanic" install the wiring and time it up for me.

Car would start and did for about four times now it will do nothing. If i start with solenoid it starts right up. With the key nothing.
My main issue at the moment is getting it to start with key. Speaking of key it pulls out of ignition in locked, off, and on position. This guy really messed up my blazer.

In his process he broke the mechanism that allows you to shift out of park. So you have to push down on a lever inside shift column to release it out of park. I dont know if that could cause issue with it starting or if I just have a bad starter.

There are so many things I will have to start a thread on it. But run across this tonight and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.