Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

engine parts swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Beginning Member
bwoodfire45 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default engine parts swap

I own a 96 s-10 blazer with a vortec V6 engine (a true '96). I am having all kinds of little problems with it that I can't seem to figure out, Anyways, i found another blazer (96) that has a different motor in it. It's not the vortec v6. It's a regular 4.3L v6. it has the "tublar" type construction on top of the motor. (i think this is the intake) so its a different motor. Will this motor be useful to me for parts for my vortec motor, or will it not be compatable? Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: engine parts swap

It's not a '96 then... It would be a '95. There are a lot of differences between these two engines until you get down to the heads, block, pistons, etc. The main basic hard parts are very similar.

And both of these engines are Vortec engines. The '95 motor is a CPI Vortec 4.3L while the '96+ is an SCFI Vortec 4.3L.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:37 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like ot expand on that.
All 4.3 In the S trucks are Vortec engines. Vortec is the name of the design, the lastest version is the better version, and that latest and greatest started in '96.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Beginning Member

thanks for the help, but I'm still a little confused. Am I able to use "most" of the parts, like sensors and things, form these two?

This is a link to the pic of the newer style motor.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Fixed image tags. CAPS in the tags will not work. Please use lower case letters only. I have also used the hidden link to the automatic thumbnail provided by Photobucket due to the size of the image. Please try to keep posted image size to 640x480.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Beginning Member

sorry, the link is this....http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g.../blazer005.jpg

Old 03-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is a CPI motor used up until '95. In '96 the induction system was changed.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Beginning Member

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...blazer2001.jpg
here is a pic of my motor. can I interchange parts from the two or is it a lost cause? Sorry swartlkk, I am still trying to figure out the bugs of photobucket. I did shrink it down though. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Administrator

I guess at this point I would ask what you are trying to accomplish by swapping parts... What is wrong with your motor that has you asking these questions?

Old 03-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Beginning Member

lol...well......I had posted some stuff awhile ago but basicly, my blazer runs like crap and I cant figure out why. I am not very good under the hood so its real hard for me to troubleshoot the problem. It starts very hard, if it starts, and when it runs, it bucks and sputters once an awhile. So far I have replaced the EGR gasket, cleaned the EGR good, replaced the crankshaft sensor (had it on the commputer to set it up), replaced the TPS sensor, relaced the cap and rotor. nothing has changed really. Still runs like crap and I don't know what else to do with it besides pay high dollar for a mechanic to diagnose and fix the problem. I was offered that other blazer (the first picture) for $300 for parts but as you can see, its a different style motor. I don't really know what else to do with it. Pretty fustruated with the whole thing.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Beginning Member

Well, I guess I'll assume thats a no so I guess allI can say now is ...."Anyone wanna buy a blazer?" Needs engine work, if you can figure it out.