Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Engine question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 06:21 PM
wheninromeSDS is on a distinguished road
Default Engine question

I have a 1996 Blazer...The engine has a cracked head, and blown head gasket. Obviously I need a new one...or I guess I could fix it.

bit of background: I love working on cars, and could tell you most anything about suspension, or body work. I have however, been kind of afraid to work on my engine or transmission because I have always had the means to have a mechanic take a look.

Well my funds have been running very short, and mechanics are asking $5000 or more to fix my car.

I was wondering how hard it would be to replace the head/head gasket, and if I should look into doing it myself. I'm pretty good at figuring out things, and if there's even a decent how to, I might be able to work my way through it.

Also, say I were to get a new engine. Obviously I have the 4.3L vortec, but I know 350/5.3L swaps are common in these trucks. If I got a 350, would I have to get a new transmission to fit with it? or could I keep my old, and ECU and just drop the engine in. (From what I've read, I want to say I have a 460 tranny)
I've found 350 chevy motors from 1997's and 98's that have a 6 month warranty for about 300$. I can put an engine in myself...I have friends who would gladly help, and know...but I just need help with these questions.

Also, time isn't really an issue. I was looking to sell my blazer so I could save up for a new ride, but decided with all the work I put forth on it, I should just keep it and save for a new motor. Also, my transmission has a few bad seals I hear...so any advice on what you guys would do would be appreciated.

OH, and I have access to all the needed tools too...

Thanks guys! and sorry for the long winded thread.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road

You can do this! Just follow the procedure to replace the lower intake gaskets. You will be down to the heads then. Just continue on and remove the heads. Do both! You can find a shop to sell you rebuilt or reman heads. You will be doing yourself a good thing in the process. You will be preventing your lower intake gasket from blowing out when you use a new gasket steel backed set for the lower intake. You must use new head bolts. You can do this. Don't sell yourself short. A man or a woman put these motors together and you can take it apart and put it back together. All the information you need can be found here.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:35 PM

So just tear down the engine compartment to replace the LIM gaskets and do the Head gasket along the way? SOunds easy enough, I actually have a LIM gasket set that I was gonna get around to doing.... lol

What about the transmission, any thoughts there?

Old 02-06-2012, 03:33 AM
Chuk Rhodes is on a distinguished road

You'll just be tearing down the center part of the engine, not the whole compartment. I've been down to the intake manifold, and separately done valve cover gaskets, not as bad as it seemed, and thats most of the way there.

Make sure you have some good tools, you'll need a long breaker bar to get head bolts out, and really should have a torque wrench for putting in NEW ones.

I'm in a similar spot with the transmission, needs seals but it's not too bad yet, never opened or dropped one. Autozone offers an "Overhaul Kit" for $100, and "Rebuild Kit" for $150. For that price I'm thinking the Rebuild Kit and go as far as I can. It's around 175K miles, so I'd like to do that before I have to.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Yeah, I didn't know about the autozone kit, but I've seen kit's like that before online. and yeah, I knew it was the center part, I just didn't know how to describe haha.

Do you know if I can get the new head gasket and bolts from autozone? What's a good one to go with? a

Old 02-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Chuk Rhodes is on a distinguished road

Autozone should have them, or usually by tomorrow for you. They only had Fel-Pro brand gaskets, no complaints so far.

I like to compare online first with Summit Racing, I do ground shipping and often it's delivered tomorrow! They usually have more options available, but could take up to a week to get.

With the transmission kits, online they say to call an 800 number first. Presumably they would need VIN or RPO codes to send you the right parts. I haven't called yet, have too much else to do first.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:32 AM

Alrighty, thanks !!

I'll definitely look into it. I figure if the block is in good shape, then I shouldn't be having to spend TOO much, to get a new engine when I can fix the old one.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:26 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I have rebuilt a Chrysler Torqflight before and the kits you get is mainly seal and clutch set. If something is broken mechanicly that is another issue. You will need puller and installer to pull the pump out of the bell housing. Other than keeping track of all the parts and having a clean work area it is not that difficult. (Non Computer Controlled Transmission)

Old 02-06-2012, 06:28 PM

I appreciate all of the advice!

In other news, I was looking into all of the gasket sets and I don't know if I'd be interested in a 10$ head gasket. Instead, if I'm shelling out good money, I was looking into a lower mileage motor. I just found one from a fellow that is swapping his 4.3L out of his 2000 s10 for a 383 stroker. He said it runs good, and he's mentioned all of the little things it's coming with and sounds pretty complete. It has 130k miles... and is being pulled on wednesday...it's his Daily driver. What all should I look for when I go look at it? What should I expect to come with it, (alternator, oil pan etc)?

Also, he is offering it for 300$. I had an offer on my motor (the bad one) for 150. So overall, I'd be paying 150$ for it. Then after purchase, I was planning on an oil change, and general tune up. maybe some gaskets on it while it's out...and easier?

Let me know what you think!

Old 02-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road
Default Your parts

I purchase quite a few parts. I get the best deals from Rockauto.com It is a very short wait and the parts are delivered to the house. Take a look and see what you can save. A discount code us usually found on here but if you need a current one PM me and I'll send the monthly code to you. You will save 5% on the order.

Quick Reply: Engine question