Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Everyone having 1st to 2nd tranny slams HERE!.!.!

Old 08-06-2007, 01:16 PM
ggwash21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Everyone having 1st to 2nd tranny slams HERE!.!.!

i have seen 4 posts on this page alone for the same issue so i'm gonna help everyone out. GM issued a Valve body UPDATE for the 4l60e tranny in blazers and jimmys which eliminates the slamming from 1st to 2nd. IF you know what you are doin you can just buy the valve body from the dealer and do your self or have them do it for around $700 which is what it would have cost me if i didnt have warr. i just had this update done 3 weeks ago i now have a much better shift and improved gas mileage....
If you have anymore questions hit up your local GM dealer and ask them or post here.
Thanks

Old 08-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Everyone having 1st to 2nd tranny slams HERE!.!.!

Here's all of the information:
A/T - 4L60-E Harsh 1-2 Gear Upshift/MIL/SES/CEL ON

File In Section: 07 - Transmission/Transaxle

Bulletin No.: 01-07-30-023B

Date: March, 2002

TECHNICAL
Subject:
Harsh 1-2 Upshift, SES, MIL, or CEL Illuminated, DTC P1870 Set
(Replace Valve Body)

Models:
1996 Buick Roadmaster
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood
1999-2000 Cadillac Escalade
1996-2000 Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette
1996-2000 Pontiac Firebird
1996-2000 Chevrolet and GMC Light Duty Truck Models
1996-2000 Oldsmobile Bravada
with 4L60-E Automatic Transmission (RPO M30)
Built Prior to January 15, 2000 (Julian Date 0015)

This bulletin is being revised to update VIN Breakpoint Date information and revise the Parts Information table. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-07-30-023A (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a harsh 1-2 upshift and the Check Engine Light or Service Engine Soon indicator is illuminated.

Diagnosis

Typically, these vehicles will have been driven more than 32,000 km (20,000 mi) before this condition occurs.

The scan tool may show a DTC P1870 set as a history code.

A harsh 1-2 shift or DTC P1870, caused by wear in the control valve body, may be difficult to duplicate when the transmission temperature is below 93°C (200°F).

Cause

The condition may be due to wear in the control valve body. This wear occurs in the bore that contains the TCC isolator and regulator valves, and results in poor, or no, TCC apply.

Important :
^ DTC P1870 is a type B code. The conditions for setting the P1870 DTC must occur on TWO CONSECUTIVE TRIPS (ignition cycles, with a drive cycle) before setting a P1870 history code.
^ When the conditions for setting DTC P1870 are met (first trip), the PCM commands maximum line pressure and harsh 1-2 shifts are the result.
^ This may result in a harsh 1-2 shift with no history code if the conditions for setting the DTC required for the second trip are not met, on two consecutive trips (Ignition cycles, with a drive cycle).
^ When the conditions for setting the DTC are met, on the second consecutive trip, a DTC P1870 is stored as a history code.
^ When the P1870 code is stored, the PCM will turn on the Service Engine Soon (SES), Check Engine Light (CEL), or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL).

Correction

Install a control valve body with the revised TCC regulator and isolator valves. Refer to the Parts Information table below. These valves are used in all transmissions produced after January 15, 2000 (Julian Date 0015), and all of the service parts currently available through GMSPO contain revised TCC regulator and isolator valves.

Important : If all of the following conditions are true, it is not necessary to rebuild the transmission or to replace additional transmission components beyond the control valve body.
^ Transmission operation is normal before the transmission reaches operating temperature, or before DTC P1870 is set (no slips, flares, or missing gears).
^ The torque converter is not blue or overheated.
^ The transmission fluid is not burned or has no burned odor
^ The transmission fluid pan contains no abnormal debris (clutch material, bronze, brass, or metal fragments).

There are kits available to ream out the valve body and in

Old 08-06-2007, 02:42 PM

Thanks i was just trying to eliminate more posts on this subject.
Gary

Old 08-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It's a good idea, however, without proper diagnosis, no one can say for sure that it is a worn valve body causing this issue.

For instance, on the revised valve bodies (after 0015 build dates), this condition could be caused by dirt buildup in a number of different places. So in many cases, it may not be so easy to say definitively that the TCC accumulator/regulator valve wear is the cause.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:51 PM

Very true i never thought or looked at that.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Starting Member
agent305 is an unknown quantity at this point

my trucks in the shop gettin the tranny rebuilt cuz i lost it....
is that gonna fix it? cuz my 1st to 2nd always banged too

Old 08-19-2007, 12:09 PM

More then likely the shop will add the updated valve body. if you are not sure about it ask them.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Beginning Member
ginobass is an unknown quantity at this point

Would this update also eliminate the TCC shudder/fluttering/pulsing at lockup and jsut beyond? I get it when I'm justcruising, not under acceleration load or when decelerating, typically between 43 (lockup) and 55 mph. I also have the 'firm' 1-2 shift, but no codes.

Is this update a replacement for the entire valve body, or valve body internals? I looked at the chart on the TSB but can't figure which part # is correct. I have a 96 Blazer 4x, 4.3 W-code.With the proper part # I could see what gmpartsdirect charges forone. I was considering a Transgo shift kit and Sonnax accums to eliminate all this nonsense...

Old 08-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Beginning Member
ginobass is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone???

Old 09-25-2008, 09:02 PM
roanoke91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im Having The Same Problem With My 99 Blazer And The Transmission Shop Told Me That I HAd Excessive Metal In The Pan.And I Needed A Rebuild.When My TCC Engauges* It Goes In And Out And My RPM's Go Up And Down When Tryin To Lock Up. I Will A New Valve Body Fix This Problem Or Am I Destined To Get A Rebuild Thanks

Will

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Everyone having 1st to 2nd tranny slams HERE!.!.!