Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Exhaust manifold crack

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM
Starting Member
Heavenjumper is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust manifold crack

While changing spark plugs and wires, I found a crack in the exhaust manifold. I know this needs to be replaced, but it's going to have to wait a little bit due to other replacements taking my money for now, so I'm trying to figure out if a temporary fix is possible for a couple weeks. I know leaving this crack as is for too long can cause other problems, and want to avoid that obviously, but is JB Weld or something similar a feasible temporary fix for this crack? This picture shows the crack just above the wrench.

A little back story on this truck...I bought a 1995 GMC Jimmy at the beginning of August. The guy I bought it from has only used it around his property for the last 8 years or so. It sat for about a year before he replaced the fuel tank and fuel pump before he decided to sell it. Now that it's been getting regular use, it's coming up with issues of course. It started cranking and idling rough, so we thought the catalytic convertor was clogged. Replaced that and figured out the ECM seemed to be going out, which it did later that same day(quit cranking up at all). Got that replaced and the truck cranks up and runs again, but still tries to choke out and die at idle. In replacing the plugs and wires, I realized the ignition coil needs replacing and just got the part in so haven't had a chance to put it in yet. Overall, it's a good truck. It just hasn't seen much love for a few years.