Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

700r4 fit problem help please

Old 03-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Beginning Member
Always Something is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 700r4 fit problem help please

I had read that all 4x4 700r4 were the same dimensions. I bought a 700r4 from a 88 K1500 4x4 to put in my 88 S10 Blazer believing the only difference was more clutches inside. There are considerable differences and I need help to solve the fitting problems. First the tail shaft housing is different and does not look like I can separate it. Does it unbolt from inside the 231 transfer case? I have the NP 231 Transfer case and the K1500 came with the NP 244C. Secondly the converter cover bolt pattern has 6 vs 4. Can I make this switch with my existing np 231 tc? Please help. Thanks.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The bolting of the dust cover could be different depending on what the transmission was going into. Some transmissions had the aluminum dust cover while others had either stamped steel or plastic.

As far as the adapter to the transfer case, it should be bolted on using 4 bolts. I am not sure what I saw this on, but I have seen where the transfer case needed to be removed from the adapter between the transmission and the transfer case before the adapter itself could be removed. But I would need to see a picture of what you are working with to know for sure if that is the case here.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:38 PM
Beginning Member
exilous is on a distinguished road

I just recently sold 700r4with a np208 mated to it. well thats what the guy that bought it said because it wasnt original to the truck. he pointed out a few differences between older adapters and newer adapters. Thats how he talked me down in price. He said some of the adapters have different mounts on the side.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:46 AM
Beginning Member

OK well that makes some sense because you can tell it is a separate piece. It must bolt on from the inside. Which is the better transfer case...np231 or np244c?

Old 03-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have not been able to find much information on the NP244. Is it electronic controlled or mechanical like the NP231?

Old 03-10-2009, 05:47 AM
Beginning Member

The speedometer connection is electronic but it also has a two port vaccum switch where my 231 has three. I have not found out much about it either, Let me double check the number.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Beginning Member

OK. The number is actually 241C. Sorry. Is this a better TC? The long range plan is to put a V8 is this S10 4x4. I also read that a TC switch can lead to driveline alignment issues. Especially in a short wheelbase like my 2DR. Any advice? Thanks.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Administrator

That sounds better. The NP241 has a higher torque rating than the NP231. If you can make it work, go for it. I believe it is physically larger so you may run into clearance problems. Since you have them both there, just measure things up.

As far as the vacuum port goes, you may be able to just put on your vacuum switch onto the NP241.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Beginning Member

Cool. Thanks for the help. I assume the difference in the vaccum swith (2 vs 3) means the 241 has one less option. Maybe only 4x4 H?

Old 03-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Administrator

The vacuum switch only affects the front axle engagement. The three ports on the 231 are vacuum source, vent, and front axle actuator. Not sure what they are on the 241.