Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

First Post: 95 Blzr W/ Tranny Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Beginning Member
Joes95Blazer is on a distinguished road
Exclamation First Post: 95 Blzr W/ Tranny Issues

Hey guys, I'm brand new here and a first time owner of a 95 Chevy Blazer LS (I think) with about 156K (or so) Anyways I got it for a steal because it has some tranny issues. Basically it's leaking tranny fluid and will not go over about 30MPH as well as Reverse almost being totally unusable. I am trying to figure out if this issue can be fixed cheaply and if not how much would I be looking at for either a replacement tranny or a rebuild. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

-Joe

Last edited by Joes95Blazer; 05-01-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Can you describe the problems you are having with greater detail? What is the transmission doing that does not allow the truck to exceed 30MPH? What does it do that makes reverse unusable? Do you have all 4 forward gears?

Old 05-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Beginning Member
Exclamation

Sorry I did not explain it better, This is how it's going.

I will start the truck, put it in OD/D (dosen't matter) and the truck will go forward and I am assuming will shift into second hard and then will not go into third and the RPMs will continue to rise and will not go any faster. Now reverse when put into reverse I will hear a clunk/grinding sound maybe as the truck crawls back but it dosen't have enough power to get up my driveway in reverse.

I do not have all 4 forward gears, I hear clunking noises and when I try to go in reverse up my drive way it will just rev up and wont make it up a "hill" that I have at my entrance.

Hope this info was a bit more detailed.

Thanks!
Swartlkk

Old 05-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The reaction sun shell is a typical failure for the 4L60E transmission. When it strips its internal splines, the transmission can no longer achieve 2nd, 4th, or reverse.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Beginning Member

So, new tranny ehh? I hope this thing doesn't become a money pit for me, I gotta get a new windshield, body work, tranny now and new tires. Rawr.

So should I start looking at the local junk yards for a used tranny or get it rebuilt I don't know which is cheaper.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Administrator

If it really is the sun shell, it can be replaced without rebuilding the transmission, but I do not advise that.

I would start looking for a used 4L60E. Anything 95+ should work for your truck. Just make sure that it matches your drivetrain configuration (2wd or 4wd).

Old 05-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Beginning Member
Exclamation

Well I am gonna have AAA tow it down to a local tranny shop for a look to see what they think, they said it might be a valve something, forgot what he said because I was still recovering from the heart attack he gave me after telling me the worst case scenario price of 1500 bucks. Another tranny shop said 1500, 1800.

So I am gonna have to call the junk yard and see how much they got a tranny for and get one of my friends to help me install her.

I really hope it's something stupid that can be fixed cheaply. Because I have a car payment for a Dodge Charger hanging on my back along with insurance and money is a freakin issue!

Thanks again,

Swartlkk

-Joe

Old 05-02-2009, 09:13 PM
bowhunt74 is on a distinguished road
Default rebuild

i think you should do a rebuild ..if you have a someone that knows how to drop it and put it back in for you...i dont know where you are from but there are several shops in my area that will do a rebuild for 640 out the door..dont get your hopes up or down just take it day by day

Old 05-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by bowhunt74
i think you should do a rebuild ..if you have a someone that knows how to drop it and put it back in for you...i dont know where you are from but there are several shops in my area that will do a rebuild for 640 out the door..dont get your hopes up or down just take it day by day
Yea, to bad I am from Connecticut. I mean I don't really have anyone that can help me. That's why I was seeing if it's something I could do easily but it looks like that's not possible.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:00 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

If the tranny shop does do a rebuild, be sure they put in a new torque converter. Some shops just flush them out, you don't want that. Also, now would be a good time to check the flexplate for cracks around the crankshaft bolts, replace it if necessary.
I don't know how prices are up in Connecticut but I would expect to pay $1800 to $2300 out the door for a totally rebuilt and updated 4L60E on a 4x4. They should also give you a minimum 12 month / 12000 mile warranty as well. Some shops require you to replace the radiator for the warranty to be honored.

Quick Reply: First Post: 95 Blzr W/ Tranny Issues