Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Fuel Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:51 PM
andym is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Issue

I have a 1996 S10 Blazer 4.3 W Engine, Car won't start sometimes, put fuel in the throttle body and it starts and dies, checked fuel pressure and have 50psi, we replaced the spider assy, camshaft sensor, temp sensor(at first it only did this after running awhile), crank sensor, rotor, cap and plugs. Engine runs like a top when it starts. I am lost now ,shows no codes ,no check engine light, where do I go from here besides the scrap yard? Help!

Old 08-13-2007, 01:59 AM
ggwash21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Fuel Issue

50psi on fuel pressure test? i believe it should be around 120psi..... When you turn the ignition on do you hear your fuel pump kick on? i would bet its the fuel pump... My old 95 did the same thing... and i ended up replacing the fuel pump and ran like a champ...

Old 08-13-2007, 06:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Fuel pressure should be 55-60psi, not 120psi... YIKES!!

If you turn the key to the 'ON' position and wait a few seconds for the fuel system to prime, does it start easier? Do you find that it doesn't start after it sits for short or long periods of time?

Also, when you say that it doesn't start, will it just crank over and over without firing? Will it fire, but not catch? Please provide a bit more information as to your symptoms...

Old 08-13-2007, 11:27 AM
andym is an unknown quantity at this point

Tried turning the key on and off a few times to allow pump to prime but still no-go, when I say it cranks I mean it turns over but no sign of trying to fire but the fire is there seems like I am getting fuel up to the schrader but then I don't know, started first thing this morning after I let the battery slow charge all nite, then wouldn't start so I figure maybe wasn't getting the voltage I needed so I replaced the battery still no go, just now I checked fuel presure and am only getting 30 psi so I think I am going back to the fuel pump, it is only @ 6 mos. old but it is a Carter and I have been having issues with Carter ever since I started replacing it I think this is the third pump now in 2 years if it weren't for the lifetime warranty I would go with a different brand. I will let you know if that fixes the problem or not. Thanks for letting me vent as I am totally getting fed up with pouring money in this vehicle but it is my wifes and she loves it. ( I hate the damn thing have to spend all my time on it and none on my El-Camino!!)