Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Gas problems!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 PM
rastaskater is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas problems!

Okay. as many users stated they are getting bad MPG's, so am i! About 11!!!!!

My car was tuned up last year as well as a radiator flush in december 2006.

(was not in my possesion at that time). Well i was wondering what would be good to do to see if i can get better gas mileage? I do drive like a bat out of hell, but still i should get a little better than 11 MPG's. My 4X4 has NEVER had any service on it, but i've never had any problems with it.

Also, if i get out of my car right after i turn it off, it kinda smells like gas, not too bad, just a little bit more than i can really tell off of other big suv's. Could i have a leak or something?

And on a final note, my fuel gauge sucks! it will tell me i have less than a 1/4 tank left, then boost up to half a tank, once i start moving......

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:57 PM
felonyblazer96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Gas problems!

my fuel gauge is the same n i have a bad leak anything over half way pours out..maybe air in the tank does it

[/align]

Old 01-28-2008, 09:57 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Rastaskater, it would make helping easier if we knew what you drive. Putting your vehicle information into your signature will always help.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:13 PM

i drive a 95, 4x4 LT Blazer oh yeah and its black lol

It has 214xxx on it, 70,000 on a rebuilt tranny and engine. Thanks alot guys...

Anyone know of any problems that sounds like or resolutions?

Old 01-29-2008, 02:50 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

It is possibly a bad seal on your fuel pump that is letting fumes get out!! I would check also the gas cap first then it would be drop the tank and replace the seal around the fuel pump also check the hoses for cracking and spliting!!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:01 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

After that, if there's been a lot of miles put on it since the tune up, do another one.

Plugs might have been over looked because of that evil #3.

It might be the fuel spider/pressure regulator... I think your year had CPI... I can't remember for sure.

Also, driving like a bat out of hell in a 4x4 SUV in winter = bad gas mileage...

Cold weather uses more fuel.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:03 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Also any deviation from any factory tire size or upgrade would impact mpg's as well unless you correct it with a tuner but a few things to do would be check your cat, o2 sensors and also pull the plugs and re-check there gap and condition!!

Old 01-29-2008, 09:12 AM

Okay tune up first, then ill go from there.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:46 PM

also. i just noticed when i first turn my car on, i can be driving for a few minutes, and the temp stays at 100 then finally near about five minutes of driving it will go to 200 where its supposed to be. New thermostat ftw?

Old 02-01-2008, 09:15 PM
74green is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you had a compression test done? Mine cost me like $90 to get done. But I was having a noticable loss of power also....

Quick Reply: Gas problems!