Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

engine oil consumption (3rd post)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 04:14 PM
ant2297 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default engine oil consumption (3rd post)

just discovered a new noise coming from what it seems to be the tranny. when the engine down shifts to pick up speed, like when passing a vehicle on the highway, it makes a high pitch noise which sounds like metal to metal contact. i cant really describe what the noise sounds like, but ill try over the internet lol. a high pitch "sssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" sound which gets louder as rpms rise and stops in low rpms. it kinda worries me because i dont want anything bad to happen and i think i might sell her soon for something more fuel efficient. the following question is seperate from the one above... how much will i be able to sell her for? 109k miles(over half are highway), innoperative ac system(bad compressor clutch), innoperative 4wd(bad transfer case), and everything else works just fine. KBB is saying ~3.3k, but do you think i can get around 2.5 - 2.6k?
thanks for the help.
anthony

Old 10-20-2008, 12:19 PM
chevygulr84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: tranny going bad?

With as many issues as your having I wouldn't see how you could get more than say $1500.00 - the parts broken are all major and very expensive to fix.
If you find a buyer willing I would jump on it but don't be suprised if you don't.
As for thr noise I had a Thunder Bird last December that used to make that noise and it was broken teeth on the fly wheel - without hearing it though it's hard to say.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:56 PM
ant2297 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: tranny going bad?

yea, figures i cant get much for it. a t-case is $800+ without labor included. the noise actually went away as i found out today. i was surprised and cant even think of what it could of been. noticed today that im missing about a quart of oil. i changed my oil about a little more then a month ago and tightened everything just right. i drove aroud 380 miles during that time span, more then half were highway miles. are these engines known for oil consumption? under normal driving conditions it doesnt seem to consume any oil, and no presence of blue smoke leaving the exhaust system. if piston rings are the problem im going to try and sell this thing as fast as i can, or trade it for something decent. i cant really tell if rings are the problem though since i dont want to spend hours getting to spark plugs and cranking etc... you know the whole deal. these engines are a pain in the ***.