Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

No brake to shift

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:04 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough
Default No brake to shift

Hey guys,

The other day I was filling up at the gas station and when I was done my GF started up my truck while I went to pay. Well I came out and the truck was 5 feet ahead of were it was. I hopped in and asked if she moved it to play a joke. She said no and that she just pulled down on the gear shift and it went down. Luckily my jimmy doesn't go too quick at idle and she just shoved it back in park.

Is there a solenoid or a fuse for that? It says right under the gear selector to "apply brake to shift from park". Just need some insight.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The shift interlock isn't something that is covered in a lot of detail in any of the references I have available. The shift lock solenoid is located at the base of the steering column.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Ok. Well maybe some time soon I'll take of the covers and take a look. Maybe a wire grounding out or completely cut.

Thanks

Old 08-12-2010, 09:36 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

ummm.......Brad..........why did she yank on the shifter arm?

she was sitting in the passenger's seat, right?

***another fine example of why the parking brake should always be used-and in working order!

Old 08-12-2010, 09:38 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I know exactly what your problem is...

you let your G/F behind the wheel. Never results in a happy ending! LOL