Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Hows this for an oddity???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Time Out
piscespokerbrat is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Hows this for an oddity???

Hey guys, my truck is '98 Jimmy. Well, I tore the engine apart today (doing intake manifold gaskets, full tune, etc.. All AC Delco parts except the updated fel pro kit), and I do believe my spider is from an '02 plus mfi. What is odd about this, the truck is a 98 #1, #2 the bracket holding the spider appears to be the old scpi bracket. Is that even possible?? See this pic of how grimy the intake is. It appears to me that this has been in there a long time. So, I am going to assume the engine is factory 98 judging from the bracket. Judging from the gunk, I am going to say that the mfi spider has been in there for at least 5+ years. What do you all think? Should I put the new mfi spider I bought in or do you all think im ok to go? The truck has had zero issues starting, and runs pretty peppy, I am just getting between 13 and 15 on fuel mileage!!!!!!!

Old 06-10-2012, 08:16 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I'm not too sure about the spider issue but I did want to say "hello A Hole". Odd that another person on here let along drives a blazer/jimmy has the same nic name as I do! lol
Welcome to forum.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Time Out

Originally Posted by Rottidog
I'm not too sure about the spider issue but I did want to say "hello A Hole". Odd that another person on here let along drives a blazer/jimmy has the same nic name as I do! lol
Welcome to forum.
Thanks Rotti, I knew there others out there! lol Maybe its a GM thing.. all of us GM driving potential rednecks are all a-holes.. who knows.. lol All I gotta do is go drop my Jimmy on blocks (which is my yard while I do this work next to my mobile home). lmao!!

Old 06-10-2012, 09:29 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

lol hmmm you don't sound like a redneck, more north eastern USA, possibly even Ohio.
Hopefully Kyle - AKA swartllk, our admin will chime in. He should have better info for you & your odd ball injection system.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Time Out

Originally Posted by Rottidog
lol hmmm you don't sound like a redneck, more north eastern USA, possibly even Ohio.
Hopefully Kyle - AKA swartllk, our admin will chime in. He should have better info for you & your odd ball injection system.
Ya, I dont think Kyle aka swart doesnt like me.. lol We kinda butted heads a lil while back. I mean, I know I have the newer the injection system, I just don't know if I should replace it or not. I could save $200, or the spider could fail in a thousand miles, teardown.. blah blah blah. *sigh* I don't know what to do...

Old 06-11-2012, 02:38 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

That spider doesnt fail as easy as the other ones so if it isnt leaking i would bother replacing it.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Time Out

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
That spider doesnt fail as easy as the other ones so if it isnt leaking i would bother replacing it.
Thats good to know! The only leak I forsee is that one of the O-rings came out when I pulled the fuel lines from the spider. I am hoping though!

Old 06-12-2012, 01:21 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Yeah that's the other thing I was going to mention was don't mess with the fuel lines if you don't have to lol they get fragile after a while and when you pull them out of their holes they can brake. Hopefully that o-ring wasn't important