Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

intake manifold leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Starting Member
Vahomboy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richphotos
Just get the metal frame one, unless you want to do it again.
X2. I tried that route and had to do it again.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Starting Member
Jakeduece is on a distinguished road

I save quite well with mine as well, compared to other cars that I have owned. As far as the intake gasket job goes, This link will help you out big time... How To Replace Intake Manifold Gaskets On A GMC Jimmy 4.3 Liter V6 To Fix A Coolant Leak - GM Truck Engine Repairs
Just make sure to follow the instructions closely, and make sure to torque down everything to the right amount, and evenly. Any questions, just ask. I'm sure almost everyone here has done an intake gasket at some point lol.

I myself have used the cheaper gasket set (all I could really afford at the time) and they have held up just fine for a year (roughly 8k miles). If you can afford it now, I would go upgraded. If not, just expect to do them again at some point.

Last edited by Jakeduece; 02-07-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:52 PM
swanman35 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I am expecting to do it again, but all I could afford right now is the cheap one. Once I know how I'd imagine it wouldn't take me so long. Thanks for the link! This forum has amazing people on it, everyone seems to wamt to help.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:38 AM

Well, my dad is picking me up from school a little early so I can get a few more things torn off the engine.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swanman35
Yeah, I am expecting to do it again, but all I could afford right now is the cheap one. Once I know how I'd imagine it wouldn't take me so long. Thanks for the link! This forum has amazing people on it, everyone seems to wamt to help.
Yeah once you do it, you'll never forget how to get the job done for next time. Its fairly simple, just time consuming. couple of things that might help you...

*Be extra careful that you don't lose the 'c' clip for the cruise control cable. When you get it to pop off, it will fly into the next county. I had to replace mine, because yeah.. Its still somewhere in the garage..

*Make sure you don't strip out the heads of the screws that hold the distributer cap. Way too easy to do.

That's all I got. The link will help you out big time. Just make sure to take your time and do it right, it makes a huge difference in the longevity of the repair. Any questions, let us know!

Old 02-08-2013, 03:07 PM

Thank you! I'm to where I move the ac bracket, but I cant find the last nut/bolt. The onethat he has the pic of the Colored pump abd bracket for the power steering. Any help?

Old 02-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Starting Member

I'm trying to remember exactly where that nut is. I think it's behind the power steering pump, and in between the power steering pump and the ac bracket. I remember it was a bitch to get to. Let me know if you still can't find it, and ill look on mine to see if I can give you a better idea.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:13 AM

I haven't found it, but there is enough room for me to get to the bolt on the manifold after I got all the others. I am about to take tge upper mabifold off but I need to work anf I need a 22mm wrench, I have 21 and 23, no 22.. o need it to get that hose off. And I beed a shorter 16 to get the fuel lines. Mine doesn't fit in the little space. Otger than that everything has went well. I'm going very slow, but it will be done right. Thanks!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:37 PM

I have a problem. I was able to get the uim off, but the tube he says is the egr tube is my problem. The piece that holds It on stripped, and I dobt have enough room to get the wrench on a side of the fastner that Isn't stripped. So I don't know what to do. Help anyone?

Old 02-10-2013, 06:52 AM
mjt
Starting Member
mjt is on a distinguished road

Cut it

Quick Reply: intake manifold leak