Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

leaking tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 05:45 PM
corvette535 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default leaking tranny fluid

97 blazer 4x4 183k
hey guys. yet another problem. I'm leaking a good amount of tranny fluid, its leaking underneath the radiator on the passanger side. i'm guessed that it was coming from the lowertrans cooler line. i could not inspect the fitting into the radiator (cause its burried and blocked), but the line it self looks ok. Does that fitting tend to leak on these trucks? i have a 183k on the truck. any other ideas as to the leak? its def. up front so i can only think cooler lines...

thanks!

Old 12-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: leaking tranny fluid

If you remove the inner fender, you can get right at the line in question. It is not a common problem though.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:01 PM

sweet! i look tomorrow... what else would leak that far up though? am i missing something? i'll just start with that though since i already bought the line..

Old 12-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing else up there that has transmission fluid in it. It may just be a loose line.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:20 PM

didn't think so, just the upper and lower lines... well its not the upper for sure and it looks like the lower was rubbing on some metal. well it didn't rub through but i'm thinking all the vibration loosend the line....is is just held in by a C-clip like the oil cooler lines on the rad.?

Old 12-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Administrator

It is threaded into the radiator.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:39 PM

the actual line just has a flared end (like the oil cooler line) and pushes into the treaded fitting thats on the rad. then a c-clip is put behind that to keep it from pulling out...at least that is how the oil line was ( i replaced them yesterday and almost started to back that thread out of therad until i saw the c-clip)and the new rad. line looks the exact same... if this is not the case the i guess i was suppose to get a fitting with the new trans cooler line...

Old 12-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Administrator

The transmission lines are threaded into the radiator (at least that is how they were on my 2000 Bravada). They are not the same as the oil cooler lines which are just push in and retained by a clip.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:21 PM

well that inner fender is a pain! didn't know how much crap was connected to it. there was a c-clip on that line, however near impossible to get off, so i unthreaded it.

Now my problem, the other end above the trans....there is so much blocking me from getting up there... i can see it but getting tools up there is gonna be tough. the fitting is a 3/4 size. I was thinking of trying to run the closed end of the wrentch up the old line and up to the fitting... if i can that is.

any ideas? i really don't want to drop the exhaust...183k of rust on those studs looks like trouble.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Administrator

c-clip and threaded?? Should have just been a threaded connection with a flared end.

Get yourself a set of liner wrenches for the other end. It will be fun to get off for sure.

Have you explored the possibility of cutting the line and patching in with rubber, nylon reinforced, transmission line? Much easier than screwing around with removing the whole line.

Quick Reply: leaking tranny fluid