Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

leaking tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:41 PM
corvette535 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: leaking tranny fluid

yeah it was a flared end with a c-clip and threaded... both ends are like that. the whole in the line was from rubbing against the corner of a metal bracket... i cut the line up near the fitting already..so patching it is out of the question. i think i'll look into those wrenches..it will be a fun time!

Old 12-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can get fittings that will thread right into the radiator and have a pipe barb on the end for use with rubber hose (in fact I think I have one in my garage right now from an old cooler installation kit). Just a thought before you go tearing everything apart.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:43 PM

do you have a pic or limk to something so i can visualize what you are talking about? thanks a lot!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:57 PM

well i got the fitting off!!!! i figured how to contort my arm and hand to get it up there with a small pair of vise grips. after 10 mins of twisting and lots of arm cramping i got it out. ill put it in tomorrow.. should go in easier than coming out but we'll see.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:48 AM

right now i want to push this thing off a cliff and shoot every person who engineered this thing. the threaded fitting that is in the tranny is in such a crappy place for doing any type of work. i got the new line in and have been trying to thread it back in for hours. I have the right tool, but i just cant get the thread started..... i got it going with out the line attached but can't get the line back on and c-cliped in that way. so i have to attached the fitting to the line and keep trying to get it to thread. its at such an awkward angle and just won't start... once that is done it is smooth sailing... i've been beaten right now.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:49 AM

oh and i'm talking about the fitting on the tranny not the rad.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When you put a transmission in so many different vehicles, it is difficult to make it easy to work on for every single one of the applications. That is just the facts of life. Sucks, but do you think that the engineers did this to **** you or anyone off on purpose?

That is why I recommended just patching the line. These lines can be a pain on fullsize trucks which have a lot more room to work!

So you can get the fitting into the transmission, but you cannot get it to clip in with the fitting in the transmission? That would lead me to believe that the line is not bent quite right to allow it to engage properly into the fitting. This thought is further reinforced by the fact that you cannot get it to thread into the transmission when the fitting is clipped onto the line.

I would install the fitting (not forgetting some pipe sealer on the threads - teflon tape) into the transmission, then adjust the line a bit at the end to get it to engage properly into the fitting.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:36 PM

yeah i was just venting i think i will just thread the fitting into the tranny and try the line again. the only issue there is that getting that snap ring or c-clip (whatever you want to call it) back on the fitting then since it is in such a crappy spot for fine manuvering of the hand...but right now i think its my best shot.

ahh in my younger days i would have just put a little jb weld on it and tightend a clamp on it...but now i have a nagging voice in my head to do things the right way..

Old 12-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Administrator

About that snap ring / c-clip. It should be made so that you can put the ring/clip into the fitting prior to pushing the line in. Then just push the line into the fitting until it snaps into place.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:11 PM

yeah that is how it is designed with the flare, my problem is its at such a point that its tough to get enough force behind it to push past the ring when the fitting is already threaded in.. i'll deal with i more tomorrow. sometime you need to step away and come back later.

Quick Reply: leaking tranny fluid