Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

loud noise from fuel tank, stalls out when i slow down

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:14 PM
corvette535 is an unknown quantity at this point

97 4x4 187k

Ok new problem now. i was slowing down to a stop after a long drive. When i went to accelerate the truck died out. I pulled over and tried to start it up.. it took a couple tries but i started. It did this almost every time i came to a stop.... if i let it idle for more then like 20 seconds it dies. when i start it up and let it idle i hear this really loud noise coming from inside the fuel tank..i'm assuming its the pump. It sounds like someone blowing a harmonica really loud and the it gets quiet and the loud again (like a siren). Then it dies.

so would that indicate a fuel pump? Its never ever been that loud. it always had a small whine but this was def. louder than normal.

I let it sit for like 30 mins and started it up. It idle for a while without the loud whining and after about 3 mins, BAM loud whining from the fuel tank and stalled a couple seconds later..

thanks for any help!

no CEL or codes... i scanned it and got nothing.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ran a fuel pressure test? If so, did you monitor it while it exhibited this condition?

Old 03-07-2009, 08:57 PM

no i did not, it just happend tonight. i'm going to look at it in the morning. I did read that the signs i'm experiencing (the very loud pump and the stalling at idle and when slowing as well as other times) is a good indicator of a bad fuel pump. the previous owner was the org. and wrote down every oil change and maintence issues and fix in the owners manuel. As far as i can tell, its the orginal pump w/ 187k on it.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is nice to get records like that.

Do you have a voltage gauge in the dash? If so, do you see the voltage dip when coming to an idle/stop? A weak pump may not run as well with a lower voltage. Just something else to consider, but I would say that your symptoms do point to a failing pump. The fuel pressure test should tell.

If you can, rig the tester up so that you can see it while you are driving, then leave it in there until you experience the problem.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:45 AM

good idea, im gonna see if i can rent one at autozone. it started right up this morning and i'm about to go for a drive. It didn't have this issue until about 66 miles into my drive yesterday. I kinda want it to do it right away but i kinda want it to magically disappear as i only have a 20 mile drive to work... i'm gonna go on a 10 mile trip and see what happens.