Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

MAJOR problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013 | 09:51 AM
|
98BlazerZR2 is on a distinguished road
Angry MAJOR problems

so my blazer has been acting up lately, started with a cyl 6 misfire which after a tune up did not correct itself. i have been driving it that way for about 2 months, (bad i know).

christmas eve i was driving to my parents house and i stopped at a red light, when it turned green i gave my truck gas and it jerked forward, and was extremely slow to accelerate, and did not want to switch gears.

i havnt driven it in over a week because it tops out at 25 mph, does not want to switch gears, and runs like crap. i have transmission fluid, it runs like crap after heating up still. im lost and dont know what to do, it may be time for me to buy a new car if i cant get it running again.

Old 01-06-2013 | 10:30 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

I would start by changing the fluid and filter then go from there.If problems persist we can go more into diagnostic of what the problem is.

Old 01-06-2013 | 10:44 AM
|
98BlazerZR2 is on a distinguished road

Is it difficult to switch out the fluid/filter? I'm not that handy and my trucks in a gravel driveway with a foot of snow on the ground lol

Old 01-07-2013 | 06:39 AM
Starting Member
Rumblur is on a distinguished road

a problem that serious is not fluid/filter. First, go to autozone/advanced whoever and get the codes read. Find out what the truck is saying. Then go from there.

Old 01-07-2013 | 09:20 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by 98BlazerZR2
Is it difficult to switch out the fluid/filter? I'm not that handy and my trucks in a gravel driveway with a foot of snow on the ground lol

When I was 38 I had a broken leg and there was 1ft of snow on the ground.I shoveled enough snow to get under my truck and change the filter and fluid.

You can do it dont let a little snow keep you from fixing your truck.To answer your question its not difficult job to do.You have 13 bolts or so that are 13mm that you have to take out.The 2 most difficult are where the shifter bracket bolts on the pan.You have get inbetween the shifter brack and the pan and use a wrench to get those 2 bolts off.Make sure you have a large drain pan.Take the 2 shifter bracket bolts out 1st.Then start on one end losening the rest of the bolts so that your pan drops down at an angle on one side so that you can catch the fluid.Once you get the pan off inspect for debris in the bottom of the pan.Pull the filter off and replace the holder inside the valve body and replace with a new one.It will be included in your filter kit.Clean off all old gasket material and wipe dry.You can use some silicone to hold your new gasket in place on the pan before you install it.

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 01-07-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-07-2013 | 10:38 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

I agree that the problem probably doesnt have to do with the filter, but its good to change regardless. Also, im pretty sure you have to take the cross member off to get the pan out.

But i have seen this exact problem discussed on here a few times, i just dont have time to search right now. Go search on here for things like "slow acceleration" and "misfire" I bet you will find something

Old 01-07-2013 | 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
I agree that the problem probably doesnt have to do with the filter, but its good to change regardless. Also, im pretty sure you have to take the cross member off to get the pan out.
No you shouldnt have to remove the cross member I didnt have to have to on my 96.
Also if its running like crap you should address why so?Also check for fuel pressure problems and whats causing the misfire.

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 01-07-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2013 | 11:55 PM
Starting Member
blown262 is on a distinguished road

Any update on this truck? I would run a leakdown test with an accurate fuel pressure gauge. If you have a sticky fuel injector poppet on the #6 cylinder, it could be enough to cause it to miss. If that is the case, the unburned fuel will cause the catalytic converter to overheat, and eventually will no longer function properly. If left long enough, the platinum honeycomb will clog up, preventing the engine from flowing enough air to run properly and produce enough power, hence the 25mph top speed.