Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Missing

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Beginning Member
JamieSue is on a distinguished road
Angry Missing

All right guys this is my first thread so bear with me....

2001 Blazer...134,000 Miles on it and it's missing bad

We had a slight antifreeze leak so we changed the radiator took care of it for a few days then all of sudden massive leak. Here the intake gasket blew. So we actually took on the task of replacing it...went smooth actually but we started it and now it misses very bad. We replaced spark plugs, wires cap and rotor...Thinking it's a injector but we didn't touch them.

Any Ideas?!?!?

Thank You!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked to make sure that the distributor is timed properly?

Old 01-12-2011, 07:04 PM
Beginning Member

Ok I'm going to sound stupid for a min but I'll ask any way...how do I check that?

Old 01-12-2011, 07:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

By clicking on the link found in my post above.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Beginning Member
neex is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JamieSue
All right guys this is my first thread so bear with me....

2001 Blazer...134,000 Miles on it and it's missing bad

We had a slight antifreeze leak so we changed the radiator took care of it for a few days then all of sudden massive leak. Here the intake gasket blew. So we actually took on the task of replacing it...went smooth actually but we started it and now it misses very bad. We replaced spark plugs, wires cap and rotor...Thinking it's a injector but we didn't touch them.

Any Ideas?!?!?

Thank You!
If may sound ridiculous but I see you swapped wires?? Is there any remote chance you reinstalled them incorrectly? I had one wire flipped between 1 and 3 once and it registered a random multiple misfire code. Just a thought. Have someone scan it to see which cyl is missing (if only one) and see if maybe you cracked a plug or flipped a wire. It's free to check and might solve your issue. Think simple stuff first... Too bad about the gasket blow out...

A.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

1 and 3 wires are tricky. I almost swapped them by accident myself.
That side of the Distributor is 3-1-5.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cbr995
1 and 3 wires are tricky. I almost swapped them by accident myself.
That side of the Distributor is 3-1-5.
I thought also there were 2 different 4.3 configs - one being 3-1-5 and one being 1-3-5. I could be wrong but I thought I remembered seeing that and laughing when I fargged it up.

To the OP: Did you sort things out??

Thanks!
A.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Beginning Member

We thought that we had the wires backwards but nope they are all ok. Had a guy tell me to try Marvel...Any of you guys hear about it?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:27 PM
Beginning Member
SonomaBlazer is on a distinguished road

Check the gaskets on the upper intake manifold. The gasket around the throttle body can be especially tricky. If it's sucking too much air in, that will cause it to misfire. I've had this happen to me twice with my 99.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by JamieSue
We thought that we had the wires backwards but nope they are all ok. Had a guy tell me to try Marvel...Any of you guys hear about it?
Marvel?? Is there any chance one of the plugs might have a cracked insulator or something? Have you run the motor is the dark and sprayed all the ignition components with a fine mist of water to check for arcing? I had a #4 miss that I couldn't figure out as they were all new plugs. It turns out that the insulator/ceramic had a hairline crack and the spark was shorting to the block. A new plug fixed it in short order and I'm still not sure if I put in a pooched plug or if I cracked it. I am super cautious however and use a torque wrench for just about everything when possible. I figured maybe this could be the case for your miss also?? Easy to check. Any wet plugs?

A.

Quick Reply: Missing