Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Missing

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Beginning Member
JamieSue is on a distinguished road

Plugs seem fine we changed them 3 times in the few months. What a pain to get to the one on the side. Any way I guess Marvel is a solvent a guy told me that if it's dirt causing the miss it'll disolve it

Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm assuming you didn't buy the $135 AC delco wires, which is fine, but the cheaper wires aren't as good. I bought el cheapo wires for my tune up over break and I had a massive miss. The miss set a P300 code which is random misfire(if I have the code right) I chased everything and it ended up being Cyl 1 & 3 wires were touching just a bit causing a Crossfire. It's hard to see the routing of the wires given how crampped it is on that side. Make sure they arent touching at all. Also if you do have a miss check for codes it could be localized(say Cyl 3) due to a cracked plug wile trying to put the new one in.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Beginning Member
neex is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JamieSue
Plugs seem fine we changed them 3 times in the few months. What a pain to get to the one on the side. Any way I guess Marvel is a solvent a guy told me that if it's dirt causing the miss it'll disolve it
I thought it crazy at first but it really is a piece of cake if you remove the steering shaft to get at that plug. The trick I found is to pull the top boot closest to the firewall and spray lube all over it. This way when you telescope it out it 'self lubricates' so the reinstall is easy as pie. Before spraying the top first it required some swearing and my slide hammer...

Anyway, I digress... Good luck on the fix. Do you hear even the faintest 'tick.. tick... tick' when the engine is running and you listen under the hood? If so, something is shorting to ground somewhere in the spark line.

A.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Thor_449
I'm assuming you didn't buy the $135 AC delco wires, which is fine, but the cheaper wires aren't as good. I bought el cheapo wires for my tune up over break and I had a massive miss. The miss set a P300 code which is random misfire(if I have the code right) I chased everything and it ended up being Cyl 1 & 3 wires were touching just a bit causing a Crossfire. It's hard to see the routing of the wires given how crampped it is on that side. Make sure they arent touching at all. Also if you do have a miss check for codes it could be localized(say Cyl 3) due to a cracked plug wile trying to put the new one in.
Oh no I sooo bought the expensive ones. I hardly ever buy cheap things to fix my car unless it truely doesn't matter...But I will NEVER buy Napa Brake pads again!!!! But we have checked and re checked everything....Can't find anything...It's getting frustrated!!

Old 01-22-2011, 01:21 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

did you try setting the distributor the hard way? seems to be happening all the time, people put the distributor in wrong and hunt for days trying to find out whats wrong.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Beginning Member

I am told that the distributor is on right. We marked it before we took it off....Guess I'm going to order some new injectors in a few weeks

Old 01-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Beginning Member

Another question....Should there be a hissing noise coming from under the hood?

Old 01-25-2011, 12:01 AM
Beginning Member
neex is on a distinguished road

Ah ha! Now we're getting somewhere.... No! You shouldn't hear a hissing noise under the hood. Take a piece of hose (garden, utility, fuel, whatever) and put one side to your ear, and dangle the other side (carefully!) under the hood to track down the noise. If you have propane or carb cleaner even, give a few shots around intake gaskets, pcv and intakes, etc. If you can get the motor to rev, you have found your leak. Check the brake booster, intake and pcv locations first and god luck! A leak big enough can cause a no start depending on if it's causing unmetered air, etc. Let us know how you make out. It could be a cracked hose also....

A.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

hissing means vacuum leak. and why start throwing parts at it? unless your rich....

Old 01-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Beginning Member

Well now the 4 wheel is out....Snow storm moving in for Tuesday and Wednesday...So not good!!

Quick Reply: Missing