Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Motor head opinions needed, got real trouble now...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:41 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I was looking at these guys. Warranty is hard as hell to beat, seems pretty legit. What do you guys think?

S&J Engines

Old 05-29-2013, 09:35 PM

Well, forget S&J engines. Too many unresolved issues too far away to take a chance at any problems with them.

I've had the old tried and true Marshall brand reman engines name thrown at me on several occasions since I posted this. Any thoughts on these guys? I'm planning on getting the engine ordered before the end of the week and I found a couple of sources I can get one from for about $1400.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:22 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I have heard some decent things about marshall. But I have also read some bad things about them. More good than bad. I would go for it
There are most likely more good than bad, which goes for a lot of things, people who are happy with it, really do not think to take the time to write a review positively.
People who have a bad experience, they are more likely to be pissed, find the time to go online and vent their opinion.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:21 AM

Yeah, it's that way with most things. There's always going to be the negative reviews no matter how good a product is just because someone didn't get a warranty honored for some reason, or it failed when they felt it should have been bullet proof. I see it all the time with the audio stuff. Some retard buys a big, expensive, heavy duty sub and just because someone who really knew what they were doing put 10x the rated power to it they think they should be able to no matter what. It's no different with any other product and I can imagine the idiot's are really bad when it comes to engines. For example, I know a guy who bought a brand new sub compact John Deere tractor. He bitched up a storm when it died on him after owning it for a year and a half. John Deere wouldn't honor the warranty on the tractor because they said it was abused. When I questioned him on it he had indeed been using it to lift and move things that were too heavy for it AND NEVER changed the oil in it since he got it. Too stupid to realize that the warranty is void if you don't call them, or take it back for the break-in service AT THE LEAST and that's not mentioning he had enough hours on it that it should have had three more oil changes besides that. Even after explaining it all to them it was the dealers fault, he's never going to buy from them or another John Deere again, AND he said John Deere is complete crap because he never had to service his old one. When he said that I just walked away because then it was completely obvious that he was a complete and total ****ing moron. That was a lengthy story, but like I mentioned I think it's the idiot's, morons and retards that think warranties should be honored no matter what dumb *** thing is done.

I'm still considering spending the entire $2k budget on a Jasper. I just don't know.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:55 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Do yourself a favor DONT BUY A JASPER.They have a ton of complaints.I know of people whos got good engines from them but also people whos got bad ones.Guess it all depends on the day it was built and what mood the people were in when they built the engines

Old 05-31-2013, 09:00 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
Do yourself a favor DONT BUY A JASPER.They have a ton of complaints.I know of people whos got good engines from them but also people whos got bad ones.Guess it all depends on the day it was built and what mood the people were in when they built the engines

Jasper engines weren't all that great back in the 80's but they lengthened the warranty and really got quality control in hand. I've put several in for people over txe last few years and never had a lick of trouble out of them. I generally take a seasoned block to a machine shop and rebuild them myself. It's cheaper that way, but takes longer.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:55 PM

Just ordered the engine. I went ahead with the Marshall G26219C 4.3l long block with a 3yr 100,000 mile warranty. Ordered from StylinTrucks.com for $1342 and $125 freight for the long block and the core. That's $1467 total, not too shabby I do believe.

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 06-01-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:24 PM

Just realized after some more reading up that I'm going to need to do a CASE or crank position sensor relearn for the PCM after changing the engine.

I found the AutoEnginuity ST06 scan tool bundled with the GM EI02 enhanced interface for $432. I'm wondering if this is one of those things that should be a no brainer to go ahead and order or if I should just go ahead and take it to a dealer to do the relearn. I think for the money it would be a silly thing not to get it considering that the van and my mother's Blazer are all GM vehicles this thing could be used on.

Any opinions?