Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Is my 3rd gear gone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road
Default Is my 3rd gear gone?

i have a 94 s10 blazer Tahoe Lt 4x4 and when i get to about the end of second gear it start revving over and over, can my 3rd gear be gone is that possible on a automatic or can it be other problems , Well not sure if its the end of second but what has happened is that i was never able to go ever 25 with out it revving over and over and then today i drove it to 45 mph with no problems.
any help please

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

Any thoughts would be great guys =Þ

Old 02-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Default RE: Is my 3rd gear gone?

Any thoughts would be great guys =Þ

Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few things that can cause this. Clutch/band wear is only one of them. Does it slip at all in 1st or 2nd under wide open throttle?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Thor is an unknown quantity at this point

The Same thing happens to me usually around 50-55mph, but it has happenedin lower gears also. What I've been doing is pulling off to side of the road, then when Itake off again and it seems fine, for now anyway. Got any Ideas?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:25 PM

No it does not do it in lower gears 1 an second are very very strong, stronger than any other vehicle i have had

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

So nobody can help me?

Old 02-19-2009, 08:33 AM

So nobody can help me?

Old 02-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Holy crap man, calm down there!!! You are getting free advice here. If you want it on your time line, open up your wallet and pay a shop. Or else, be patient and we will get back to you on our time.

What are you really expecting to get out of this discussion?

Now, what does the fluid look like? Smell like? Is it full? When was the last time it was serviced?

As I said in my previous post, this could be internal damage to the clutches/bands or it could be a solenoid problem.

Here is the checks/causes listing for the "No 2-3 Shift or 2-3 Shift Slips, Rough, or Hunting":

Old 02-19-2009, 02:51 PM

lol i was not getting mad at all there lol

Old 02-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Been through this with a few of these tranys. bottom line, its most likely going to need replaced/rebuilt SOON! Start figuring out your alternative plan NOW. Your going to be out and about and everything will be fine. youll park, youll come back to the truck, fire it up, and 3rd and 4th will be gone! never to see em again! Im not trying to be a downer but you need to start preparing. You may be able to find those gears if you stop, then punch it with a solid foot throught all gears, or you can put it 2nd and rev it high and shift to drive and maybe catch 3rd. but these tactics wont work for long.

not to rain on your parade but youve been warned!

Old 02-19-2009, 06:47 PM

thanks ill start looking for a use tranny, Any ideas on trany swaps

Quick Reply: Is my 3rd gear gone?