Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

My starter fell off!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:01 AM
Sloticus is on a distinguished road
Default My starter fell off!

I noticed a bolt lying underneath my blazer a few months ago. I now know where it came from. I tried to crank my engine yesterday and heard a loud clank. Got under truck and found another of same bolt and a starter out of place. It appears that both of these bolts broke off. Has anyone had This problem with the 6.2 diesel? I guess I'll have to drill them out and replace with helicoils. I will try an extractor first but I'm no going to hold my breath. I bet some dumbass used an airtool to tighten the bolts and weakened them. Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:22 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Had a similar problem on an old Camaro quite a few years back but I knew about it as my buddy was the one who broke one of the bolts. If you can't get them out with an extractor, try drilling out the bolt with a smaller drill bit and then using a tap of the proper size. If that doesn't work then go with the helicoils. And if worse comes to worst, JB Weld them bolts in there!

Old 03-02-2010, 08:29 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

if any of the bolt is sticking out of the block just weld a new bolt onto it. i got lucky a few times with starter bolts, especially on fords they love to break, where they will just come right out. it seems that the bolts actually seize in the starter