Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Need help on how to overhaul my carb. for a 78 k5 blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 08:52 PM
mdjuarez93 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Need help on how to overhaul my carb. for a 78 k5 blazer?

I got my truck from my dad, its a 78 k5 350 V8 blazer 2WD, I have been working on it for a year and i got it going. but my dad told me I needed to get my carburetor overhauled. Now I was wanting to know how to overhaul it?

Can anyone tell me the materials and directions or a brief directory of what im suppose to do?! Please. it would be alot of help.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

2-barrel or 4-barrel? Do you know if it is stock? Any numbers on it that you can read?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:11 PM

its a 4 barrel and its stock. I cant find any numbers. where would they be located at?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it is stock, it will be a Rochester Quadrajet. You can Google "Quadrajet Identification" for a listing of numerous websites showing how to identify your carb.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 PM

so the number isnt located on the carb.?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Administrator

I guess you didn't take my advice...? "Quadrajet Identification".

-OR- CLICK HERE for a pain free Google search.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:34 PM

lol sorry :/ well i went outside real quick and found out what the number is. it is.... 1705582131638BJB.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Your number seems a bit mixed up... It likely should be 17058213 1638 BJB.

1705 - 1976-1979
5 - looks like an extra character.... Doesn't fit.
8 - 1978
2 - Quadrajet 4 barrel w/ federal emissions.
1 - could be a 0, 1, or 2 for a Chevy/GMC application
3 - odd numbers typically mean manual transmission.
1638 - Built on the 163rd day of 1978 (Monday, June 12, 1978).
BJB - is a customer code.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:45 PM

ok. so from this point. how do i find out how to over haul my carb.?

Old 02-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Administrator

With that information, you can pick up an overhaul kit and go to town. I recommend taking a picture of how all of the linkages go together before pulling it apart.

There are several books that walk you through the process available. Your local library may even have them on hand.

If your primary throttle shaft is worn, you may just want to pickup an already rebuilt carb for your truck since bushing the throttle shaft isn't very DIY friendly. The same goes for leaking well plugs. I tapped mine out and installed threaded plugs with some epoxy on the threads for good measure to ensure that my plugs would not leak again, but I have also been working on Q-jets for many years. If this is your first tangle with them, I would not recommend messing with these besides the typical drenching in epoxy. You can ruin the carb if you do not know what you are doing.

THIS PAGE
catalogs many different resources for the Quadrajet. Some links are dead, but there is more than enough to educate yourself with there.

Quick Reply: Need help on how to overhaul my carb. for a 78 k5 blazer?