Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Need to replace motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:18 AM
brittlevimom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need to replace motor

96 Blazer 4.3 Vortec motor - having trouble finding a Vortec motor can I replace with a 4.3 block and conect the Vortec back up from my motor?

Old 10-16-2007, 08:42 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Need to replace motor

Vortec is the name used on the 4.3L V6's made from, I think, '86 onward. It gets its name from the design of the intake manifold and combustion chambers in the heads. Any 4.3 from a '96 onward will be a replacement for your engine.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:01 PM
blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

i just got done replacing my engine 3 weeks after i bought the truck. I bought a crate engine from O'rielly auto parts. I got quoted by 3 different places and they wanted at least 4,000 dollars to fix it so i payed 1900 dollars and me and a buddy did it ourselves. Or if you are looking to go the cheaper route go to a local junk yard there are so many 4.3 engines out there

Old 10-16-2007, 09:07 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

eh em! 350

Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 PM
BigGreenMonster is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL! Vortec is not like V-tec in a Honda, its not something that needs to be "hooked up". Its just a name. Finding an engine should not be very difficult at all really. You've got quite a few vehicles to choose from if you are looking at a junkyard special, Astro Vans, S-10s, Jimmys, Blazers. GM played with the injection systems all through the 90s, but I'm of the impression that all will work with minor wiring changes, and maybe a different ECM...

Old 10-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is quite a bit more to the induction/injection system changes over the years. In this case, any '96+ 4.3L from a GM vehicle will fit the bill, as riddle stated!

Old 10-17-2007, 11:02 AM
BigGreenMonster is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

There is quite a bit more to the induction/injection system changes over the years. In this case, any '96+ 4.3L from a GM vehicle will fit the bill, as riddle stated!

Not to hi-jack the thread, but this raises a question I have. I had/have the opportunity to get back the TBI engine from my old 89 (Its a bit more powerful than the CPI in my 94 due to it being bored out and stuff). What exactly would be involved swapping the TBI from an 89 into a 94 CPI?

Old 10-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wiring, computer, etc... The engines really are quite different. I'm not sure if the PCMs are the same aside from one controlling the CPI injector and the other controlling the 2 TBI injectors. Other differences would be in the design of the EGR system. I believe that the TBI motor has a vacuum operated EGR valve with a vacuum solenoid while the CPI has a servo motor driven EGR valve. Everything else should be the same as the TBI motor was offered (not in the Blazer) until '95.

But then again, you could just swap the long block in and use the CPI induction setup. Physically, below the intake, there should be little to no difference. Although I can't remember off the top of my head when they added the balance shaft...

Old 10-17-2007, 11:24 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: swartlkk
Although I can't remember off the top of my head when they added the balance shaft...
I'm pretty sure that started with the 1992 4.3's.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Administrator

THIS should answer your questions. The missing balance shaft won't matter to an 89 engine since it wasn't even thought of then. All of your induction components should bolt up though.

Tim (hanr3) put an '85 block in his '93 CPI truck. Here's his explaination on what he had to do: Are all 4.3's created equal?

Quick Reply: Need to replace motor