Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

New fuel pump questions- Walbro Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010 | 07:33 PM
|
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ck1500
it almost sounds like the fuel pump like inside the tank that connects to the sending unit.. via rubber hose, is leaking when you first turned it on, whether its from the clamps, or a hole in the hose, almost like its spraying the inside of your gas tank, when you first turned the key..

but then again, at my age im hearing things too.. and i had a similar problem with my blazer.

hope this helps

Ck1500
Leaking and spraying the inside of the gas tank? How can that happen with a brand new pump? Especially when the pump is silent when the engine is running when Walbros are known to be noisy? Thanks for the tip. I will ask the mechanic when I bring it in for a NYS Inspection later. Did your fuel pump sound like the one in my video above?

EDIT: I just emailed Walbro with the video link asking their opinion.

UPDATE: Ok, I called the manufacturer and spoke with one of their engineers. I even sent him the link to the video. He viewed it and he said it sounds normal and he is surprised by how quiet it is. He also said I was the first to call and complain about it being too quiet. He also said the fake pumps seem limited to the high performance pumps and not the all-in-one modules. The company's high performance pumps are the noisy ones that we all hear about on the internet, but the OEM replacement ones would not make much noise. So the pump seems fine. That's great.
The funny part about all this is that I bought it for $138 when they go for double or triple that on different sites. I bought it from fuel-pumps.net special order. One of the admins should make this link a sticky on the forum. I thought it was fake based on the price and noise, but it seems normal and the truck once again starts up on the first try every time.

Last edited by rriddle3; 09-15-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS