Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Oil recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 09:21 PM
metalmeltr is on a distinguished road
Default Oil recomendations

What is everyone running oil wise? We have always run Pennzoil in everything and i fully intend to do so in my Blazer. Im curious as to opinions on high mileage oil. My blazer has 174000 miles. Any recommendations on additional additives?

Old 10-20-2013, 10:11 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

high mileage oil is a waste of money, there are no benefits from running it. Stick to your normal oil and do oil changes every 4k if non synthetic.
I run full synthetic Valvoline or mobile and change it every 6-9k.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:11 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

I like Pennzoil in both their synthetics: Ultra and Platinum, and the dino or PYB in 10w/30 and 5w/30. For all you ever wanted to know about oil and oil filters, take a look at BITOG forum You will be entertained and educated for hours. These guys buy new filters and cut them open and compare the various makes on the market. They say stay away from the low levels of Fram filters, or orange can of death. Some like the AC Delco filters, but not the ones with 'e' suffix ,,,,PF-52e...at the end. OCI =Oil Change Interval, PYB= Pennzoil Yellow Bottle, BITOG= Bob Is the Oil Guy ...Have fun and enjoy, Jim

Old 10-21-2013, 08:41 PM

I have seen that forum before. I poked around a little but couldn't find much about high mileage. Frankly all I run is Fram.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:56 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Is it bad that I'll run whatever is the oil/filter combo of the week at autozone? I hate paying more than $20 for an oil change. I will change it every 3k or so, but sometimes it's closer to 4k.

It's been maintained like this it's whole life (I know the PO's, and I'm sure it got the cheapest oil and filter, and missed a bunch of changes altogether). It's got 262k miles now, and zero leaks, and it burns zero oil. I figure, so far, so good. Why change it up, now!

If there isn't a good deal, I'll try to get a Delco filter, and Castrol oil, though.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Is it bad that I'll run whatever is the oil/filter combo of the week at autozone?
...If there isn't a good deal, I'll try to get a Delco filter, and Castrol oil, though.
These engines do not require any specific oil, dino or synth. Do not cheap out on the filter, though. Wix, Delco, or Purolator.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:46 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

My wife bless her heart ran over a tire stop and completely removed the bottom half of the BMW oil pan. Drove 4/5blocks wondering what all the dash lights meant. Safely pulled to the side of the road to phone home for instructions on what to do all the time with the motor idling. When she could not get an answer she proceeded the two miles to home. I was reallymad she left 5 quarts of new Mobil 1 in the gutter. Two days later I found NO DAMAGE to the motor. Rod bearings GOOD. Cam GOOD.

Does any one here think I use any other oil.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Beginning Member
87blazer4x4 is on a distinguished road

mobil is awsome oil I also like valvoline mainly because its a little cheaper. Im sure penzoil is good now no experience with it personally but i have heard it used to be a perifin based (wax) oil and thats why it got a bad rap cause it would get thick and sludgey. High mileage is crap there are additives that harden your seals to help stop leaks which make it worse in the long run. I also run an additve called Power up i add one OZ per quart its about 80$ per quart but it lasts about 8 oil changes. it was developed for industrial use in gearboxes about 25 years ago since then they have made an engine formula love the stuff my 2.8 has 194k on it stock, I started using it at 125k when i got it and have never had one issue with the engine mechanically and i run her hard change the oil every 6k miles drain it out and it still feels new compared to other ppls oil i change who dont run it, it feels all degraded.

I also only run WIX filters or (napa gold or platnium) i cut open all kinds of filters and find there the best ones

Old 10-21-2013, 10:52 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

honestly,ive owned lots of blazers. all 4.3s. i use whatevers on sale for 14.99. Never a problem with oils.

point is,use whatever...just change oil at 3k. But personally i like castrol with a wix filter. but,the last oil change,ive got supertech oil with a puralator filter.but before that the last 4-5 changes ive been doing the mobil 5000 oil with stp filter at autozone for like 16 bucks when they have it on sale. no issues. 4.3's dont give a darn. its the 4l60's and 700r4 trannys we gotta worry about LOL

Old 10-22-2013, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by chris015
honestly,ive owned lots of blazers. all 4.3s. i use whatevers on sale for 14.99. Never a problem with oils.

point is,use whatever...just change oil at 3k. But personally i like castrol with a wix filter. but,the last oil change,ive got supertech oil with a puralator filter.but before that the last 4-5 changes ive been doing the mobil 5000 oil with stp filter at autozone for like 16 bucks when they have it on sale. no issues. 4.3's dont give a darn. its the 4l60's and 700r4 trannys we gotta worry about LOL
So what do you recommend for the Transmission? Im planning on changing the fluid/fiter, adding a drain plug and maybe an inline filter.

Quick Reply: Oil recomendations