Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

ONE bellhousing bolt left...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 02:31 AM
PseudoKirby is on a distinguished road
Default ONE bellhousing bolt left...

Drivers side middle bolt.

the top two weren't too bad, and the bottom ones were semi easy, along with the passenger side middle one..

but this last one, the body of the car is actually in the way and I cant get a socket completely around, nor a swivel...

the only thing that I can fit around it is a boxed in part of a wrench.. and I cant turn it when its on, as the drive line and exhaust are in the way... and the exhaust bolts on the muffler are rather rusted to it...

this is a 1995 4 door 4x4

Last edited by PseudoKirby; 06-04-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:07 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

You have to pull the transfer case out first and then lower the tail end of the transmission down. You can get to all the bolts with a socket/extensions. Don't worry.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:39 PM

I lowered the transmission to get it out, now I have to get it back in with the new engine, and there are two metal washers of sort on it, maybe wire clamps IDK, but I cant fit the bolt up there for nothing, it wont even go in the hole....

can the car run safely without one bellhousing bolt, middle drivers side, or is there an easy way to get the bolt in there....

Old 06-14-2011, 10:07 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Sometimes I use electrical tape to hold a bolt head on to a socket so I can get the bolt into hard to reach places without the bolt falling out of the socket. Once the threads get started it is easy enough to pull the socket off of the bolt head. This may work for your bell housing bolt.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would get it back in there. I have seen first hand what happens when a bell housing breaks and it isn't pretty.

Electrical tape or just a piece of a common shop rag could be used to "hold" the bolt in the socket while you get it up into place.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:57 AM

no you dont understand, the bolt wont go into the hole because the body of the car is in the way, it physically dosnt have the clearance to go in there

also I dropped the top drivers side bolt in between the transmission and the body of the car and cant get it out..

Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it came out, it can go back in.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:33 AM

it was the last bolt that I took out and it got stuck up there, floating inbetween the body and the transmission, but I think because I had the transmission lowered the transmission had dropped lower when being disconnected from the engine and allowed the bolt to come out

I cant seem to get the transmission any lower with it connected to the engine, so far I have just lowered the transmission crossmember by removing the bolts on it on the passenger side..

Old 08-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Beginning Member
CaptainK is on a distinguished road

Take an air hammer with a long extension and hammer the roll crimp back to access those top bolts. They'll just go in like they are supposed to.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:26 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

just did a trans in a 96 today. that bolt really wasnt that bad. what i ended up doing is i have a really thin 1/4 inch breaker bar, i put a 15mm on it. lowered the trans down just a bit and got it right out. if it was my truck id probably have just smashed the floor up

Quick Reply: ONE bellhousing bolt left...