Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Plugs fouling out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Beginning Member
riverjamie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Need help again on Spark Plugs Fouling out

I tried to attach the picture of the old plugs from the past, but the file to to large. So if you don't mind I could sent them to your personal email if you like?

Old 12-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Resize the image or use a free online photo host (photobucket, etc). Check out THIS THREAD.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Beginning Member

Had trouble trying to attach the photo of the spark plugs. So maybe later my son will help. Also do you aggree that the APP25 plugs still should not foul out the soon? One of the replies said to replace with original AC plugs? What would you recomend?

Also can you please tell me if you know what controls the amount of fuel that is sent to the cylinders?

I agree about the Cat Convert should probably be replaced but I don't want to replace it if theres to much fuel being dumped in the system, I heard that if the system runs to rich it can cause the Cat to prematurely fail?

Also when I took of the plenum to replace the Fuel Pressure Regulator I also removed the EGR valve and most of the EGR port on the intack manifold was clogged? Of course I cleaned it out. Would the Cat being bad cause this?

Again thank you for all your replies.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you look at the thread I linked to above? That will detail everything you need to know to get a picture into a post.

No plug should foul out that quickly. Can you describe what the plugs look like?

The O2 sensor controls the IPW (injector pulse width), however, if you have a fuel leak under the plenum... I know you have already replaced the FPR, but have you checked your fuel pressure? If so, did you monitor it after you turned the key off? What does it do?

When you replaced the FPR, did you remove the CPI spider to replace it?

Old 12-25-2008, 01:57 AM
Beginning Member

I tried to follow the instructions for posted the picture but I could not get it to work? So tomorrow I'll have my son work with me onposting the picture.

When I removed the plenum for the fuel pressure reg it looked good not alot of moisture, but there was signs of brown areas like I saw on some posts with gas leakage. I did not replace the spider or the nut assy.I did replace the O2 sensor with the correct AC Delco. I did the fuel pressure check even though I could not start the car there was enough juice to run the pump 55-60PSI and with it off after 30 minutes it was still at 55PSI. Tonight (Weds)I got the car runing by jumping the battery. Iengine was surging up anddown. It seems to smooth out when I would give it more gas but when I let it idle it would start surging up and down. I removed all the plugs APP25. They all look equally fouled, pretty black.What else could cause so much fuel to get into the system? My mileage also was very low before the plugs quit. Can the MAP or the Air charge Temp sensors cause this problem or the Cataylic Converter, I seem to have pretty good pressure at the tail pipe. On Friday I'm going to pick up some CR43TSM AC Delco plugs but I don't believe that the plugs are the problem. But at this point their bad. Do you think I should take it in to a dealer after getting it runing and have them check the diagnostics? When it was surging it did create a msg "have engine serviced".

Again thank you for all your help.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

When you had it running, how did it perform? Did it feel sluggish? It is quite possible that the cat is plugged or restricted, causing the plugs to foul. If it runs sluggish, try removing upstream O2 sensor completely from the vehicle and run it again. If that shows a change in performance (not just noise level), then your catalytic converter is plugged.

You would have codes present if the MAP or ECT have failed causing these problems. You have checked the codes, correct?

Old 12-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Beginning Member

I was only able to drive to car back into the garage from the street where it had been sitting for 2-3 months. But if I let it idle the rpm's would go up an down and almost die, unless I gave it moregas(which I call the surging?), afterit warmed up it settled down a bit, but still surged. I also I think I mentioned this in my earlier posts, after doing all the tune-up stuff, FPR, plugs, I put in Seafoam in the intake, and gas tank. Itseemed to help fora while, probably just cleaned off the plugs, I guess. I guess in any case I should get the Cat replaced anyhow, just been putting it off becasue I heard that if the engine is runing to rich it could cause the Cat the fail again? Is that true? So what would you do? Also I have not been able to check the codes because the one from from Auto Zone won't read OD 1.5. So I guess the only way to get it checked is to have it done a the dealer? I'm not sure if Firestone type garage could fix a problem like this? I think it probably should go to the dealer? One last question what do think about putting in a after market cat not an GM one? There's a place near by that told me for $200 I could get it replaced. Should I take out the O2 sensor after the cat is replaced and clean it with some Electrical contact cleaner? Now if I should take the car to the dealer if that inspect the plenum I would imagne that it would probably look wet because of the Seafoam going down into the air intake valve? The car itself is not worth a lot to begin with. This problem has really been a nighmare.

I really appreciate all your assistance.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Administrator

That is true, but a bad cat can cause over-fueling symptoms (fouled plugs, etc). Since you know you have a rattling cat, that would be the next step in the process since you either cannot or will not go through what has been suggested. Suggestions that I make are to help you help us determine the true cause of the problem before you replace any parts.

Who cares if it is wet inside, the only reason to look at that is if a fuel pressure check indicated that there was a leak.

As far as cleaning the O2 sensor... Well, sometimes that can cause more harm then good. I would just leave it.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you for the feedback. So I'll get the new plugs so it will run, take it to get the cat replaced. Then what would you suggest, should I just run it for a while, because more that likely it will run. Pull the plugs at 500 miles inspector should I just take it in an have the dealer do a diagonstic on it?

Again thank you for all the prompt feedback. Happy Holidays to you and your family

Old 12-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Administrator

You do not have to wait 500 miles to read the plugs. A hard run or two was all that it took to assess my tune on my Chevelle when I was running it.

One more question on the plugs, do they all look the same or similar in the amount of buildup, color? Have you tried just cleaning the plugs?

Quick Reply: Plugs fouling out?